Connecticut Ethnic Groups
|Connecticut Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Records and histories of minorities and ethnic groups may provide clues to immigrant origins, migration information and previous residences. See United States Minorities for further sources on ethnic, racial, and religious groups.
Ethnic Research in Connecticut
You can find information on ethnic ancestors in most of the same records as other groups. Start your research in the same resources you would search for non-ethnic ancestors. The records listed on this page provide information about specific groups in Connecticut.
Additional resources for Connecticut ethnic groups may be found in the Connecticut-Minorities topic page of the FamilySearch Catalog . Copies of records on FHL microfilm and microfiche can be ordered for viewing at FamilySearch Centers. Also find Connecticut ethnic resources available at various libraries (WorldCat). Explore how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog.
Several tribes of American Indians resided in the colony of Connecticut prior to the Revolutionary War. Some of their descendants still live in the state. For more information about Connecticut's American Indians and their records, see Indians of Connecticut.
- Gingras, Raymond. Quelques Francos au Connecticut : Notes, Références, et Index des Nécrologies Parues Dans des Journaux de 1963 à 1975. Québec, Québec : R. Gingras, 1976. FHL book 974.6 F2g At various libraries (WorldCat)
- O'Connor, David E. The Swedes in Their Homeland, in America, in Connecticut. Storrs, Connecticut : I.N. Thut World Education Center, University of Connecticut, 1983. FHL 974.6 F2o At various libraries (WorldCat)
- For more information about Swedish Americans in Connecticut, see Connecticut: Swedish American.
Multiple Ethnic Groups
- USGenWeb Connecticut Archives has a list of ethnic records that includes cemeteries, census, court, history, military, obituaries, and vital records.
- The Ethnic Heritage Center at Southern Connecticut State University has an archive, museum, and research center.
- Minority Military Service, Connecticut, 1775-1783 Washington, D.C.: National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1988. FHL book 974.6 M2n. At various libraries (WorldCat)