Connecticut Divorce Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Connecticut Divorce Index, 1968-1997
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Connecticut, United States|
|Flag of Connecticut|
|Location of Connecticut|
|Record Type||Divorce Index|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of indexes to divorces from the Connecticut Department of Public Health in Hartford. The index is provided by Ancestry.com. The collection includes records from 1968 to 1997.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Valuable information may include:
- The names of those directly involved with the divorce
- The names of children
- The places of birth and education, previous marriages, and custody rights
|Court docket and certificate numbers were usually indexed. Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The index entry generally lists only the most basic identifying information for an individual, so the original record may contain further information which was not indexed. Save or print a copy of the image.|
The following is an example of the type of information that may be contained on the indexed records. The amount of information varies from record to record.
|John J Smith|
|Connecticut Death Index|
|Name||John J Smith|
|Event Date||30 Mar 1971|
|Education Level||4 years college|
|Birth Date||Jul 1940|
|Number of Previous Marriages||Not Stated|
|Spouse's Education Level||3 years high school|
|Spouse's Birth Date||May 1942|
|Spouse's Previous Marriage Number||Not Stated|
|Marriage Date||Oct 1961|
|Marriage Place||Washington D.C.|
|Separation Date||Jun 1970|
|Plaintiff's Residence Place||West Hartford, Connecticut|
|Number of Children Under Age 18||Five|
|Type of Decree||Divorce granted to husband|
|Grounds for Divorce||Cruelty|
|Court Docket Number||166790|
|Affiliate Publication Number||DR09368|
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person at the time of the divorce
- The place where the divorce occurred
- The approximate divorce date
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record use the page, volume or entry number listed to locate your ancestor's divorce record. The certificates are available at the Connecticut Department of Public Health in Hartford.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the divorce information to find the marriage record
- Search for additional records about your ancestor where the divorce occurred
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
- Use the information found listed to find the family in census records and birth records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Look for a different index. Divorce records are a court record. Court records are often indexed at the beginning or end of record volumes. You might also want to check with a local genealogical or historical society as they often have indexes to local record.
Consult the Connecticut Research Tips and Strategies and its Record Finder to search other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Connecticut Divorce Index, 1968-1997." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. From "Connecticut, Divorce Index, 1968-1997." Database. Ancestry. http://www.ancestry.com : 2010. Citing Archive collection number DR09368. Connecticut Department of Public Health, Hartford.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.