|Connecticut Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- American Biographical Library for Connecticut ($)
- The New England Historical & Genealogical Register, 1847-2011 ($)
- Genealogical and Family History of the State of Connecticut, Vol. I-IV ($)
- The public records of the colony of Connecticut ($)
- First Settlers of Connecticut and Massachusetts: Genealogical Notes and Contributions ($)
- First Settlers of Connecticut and Massachusetts: Genealogical Notes and Contributions
- Connecticut Historical Society Collections, Volumes VIII-IX, XI, XIII, XV-XVII, and XIX ($) 3,106
- Connecticut Puritan Settlers, 1633-1845 ($)
- Encyclopedia of Connecticut biography, genealogical-memorial, e-book
- Connecticut history makers, e-book
- Illustrated popular biography of Connecticut, e-book
- Men of mark in Connecticut, e-book
- Men of progress; biographical sketches..., e-book
- Representative men of Connecticut, 1861-1894, e-book
A biography is a history of a person’s life. In a biography you may find the individual’s birth, marriage, and death information and the names of his or her parents, children, or other family members. Biographies often include photographs, family traditions and stories, clues to an ancestor’s place of origin, places where he or she has lived, church affiliation, professional accomplishments, military service, and activities within the community. The information must be used carefully since there may be some inaccuracies.
Connecticut Historical Society has the best collection of biographical works for Connecticut.
Representative biographical encyclopedias for Connecticut include:
- Hart, Samuel, et al. Encyclopedia of Connecticut Biography. 11 Volumes. Boston, Massachusetts: American Historical Society, ca. 1917-23. (FHL book 974.6 D3e vols. 1-2, 4, 7-11; Films 1425622+; Other libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical and Biographical Records of American Citizens: Connecticut. 26 Volumes. Hartford, Connecticut: N.p., 1929-49. WorldCat entry.