Connecticut, Births and Baptisms - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Connecticut, Births and Baptisms, 1639-1941
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Connecticut|
|Location of Connecticut|
|Record Type||Births and Baptisms|
|Connecticut State Library, Hartford|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can This Collection Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- 7 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes an index to selected Connecticut birth and baptismal records for the years 1639 to 1941.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can This Collection Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- The name of the child
- Birth date
- Parents’ names
- Parents’ residence
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your relative
- The approximate year of the birth or baptism
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add the new information to your records
- Use the information found in the birth or baptismal record to locate the individual and family in Connecticut town records
- Use census records to locate the family
- Locate marriage and death records for the individual
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for records in nearby towns in Connecticut
- Try searching for variant names for the individual
- Examine other records such as probate, land, and tax records
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Connecticut.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.