Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Concordia Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Concordia Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||April 10, 1805|
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 School Records
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Concordia Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
Concordia Parish Courthouse
4001 Carter Street, PO Box 790;
Vidalia, LA 71373-0790
Phone: (318) 336-4204
Parish Clerk has marriage records from 1840,
divorce, probate, court and land records from 1850.
1805--Concordia Parish was created 10 April 1805 as an original parish.
Parish seat: Vidalia 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
About 1843 A tornado destroyed the courthouse around 1843, destroying most records also.
1927 Courthouse was destroyed by flood in 1927.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Concordia Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Concordia Parish Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Concordia Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Concordia Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images (USGenWeb Census Images Project)
- Concordia Parish Census Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Concordia Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Concordia Parish Land Records (USGenWeb Archives]
Local histories are available for Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- Family Maps of Concordia Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 Pensioners List (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
- Company F: CSA. Concordia Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
Regiments. Service men in Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company F
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Index to Concordia Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Concordia Parish Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Concordia Parish School Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Concordia Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1844-1855 - Concordia Parish Marriages (Genealogy Trails)
- Concordia Parish Marriage Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1910-1920 - Concordia Parish Death Index, 1910-1920 (USGenWeb Project)
Societies and Libraries
Central Louisiana Genealogical Society
PO Box 12206
Alexandria, LA 71315-2206
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Concordia Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Concordia Parish, Louisiana, LAGenWeb, part of USGenWeb Project.
- Concordia Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Concordia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Concordia Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Concordia Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed.Concordia Parish, Louisiana p 289 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.