Community Meeting Agenda 16 June 2009
Be bold! Post your agenda items!
Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to cover during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post some details on the discussion page and link to the discussion from the agenda.
- Assignment of time keeper and note taker
- Introduction of new members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
- Review of Minutes
- Today's agenda preview
Use of "Watch" feature to involve new contributors.
Eirebrain 18:10, 16 June 2009 (UTC)
The Un-Portal Solution nixiao
Carryover from Last Week
When does an article cease to be a stub? Does a contributor remove that line after adding some details? If so, how much detail is required before something is no longer "stubby"? Eirebrain 19:32, 9 June 2009 (UTC)
There should be a tab above or in nav bar asking for more contributions. dsammy 20:04, 9 June 2009 (UTC)
- Hi DSammy, is your comments related to what Eirebrain has said or something else? I am confused by it. Thomas Lerman 18:10, 16 June 2009 (UTC)
- When we discussed this subject in the meeting, it was discussed that maybe the stub template can be updated to provide more information on how to contribute. Someone (it may have been dsammy) brought up a tab showing up on Wikipedia's Durham Museum. The stub box is showing at the bottom and nearly matches our box. As long as I understood correctly, they indicated the "Edit this page" tab showing up after logging on to Wikipedia. I see this tab when I am not logged on. The Research Wiki works similarly, but the "Edit this page" tab has been replaced with an "Edit" link in a box near the top on the right. I believe this is really a deviation to the question asked by Eirebrain. Thomas Lerman 13:47, 20 June 2009 (UTC)
Linking to WorldCat / FamilySearch Catalog
Consensus? dsammy 18:06, 16 June 2009 (UTC)
1. Linking to WorldCat / FamilySearch Catalog - needs to confirm consensus (no assumption, please!) Format is a separate subset issue.
Search Engine for Linking STILL not finding portal pages
Forum comments on this issue go back a full year. I'd like two important pieces of information:
1. How do I work around this issue until it is resolved (without using an external link to a FS Wiki article).
2. When will this be resolved?
Eirebrain 18:08, 16 June 2009 (UTC)
Consensus was reached on this before the NGS conference last month. Progress underway to move from the Portals to the new format. It's slow! I am waiting for the sysops to convert New York portal. Until then, do nothing with the Portals until after the conversion. dsammy 18:12, 16 June 2009 (UTC)
- To clarify, as I have talked to Eirebrain about this: This is not the search as done through the search box or advanced search. Rather, this is the "search" when using the editor to change text into a link (button that displays a chain link in front of the world). I do not know what you mean by this having been reached as consensus, DSammy, as it is a bug. Yes, portals are moving toward non-portal articles, but people still need to link to them (Eirebrain is not doing anything else with portals). If it is not easy to do things or people have to wait on something as simple as linking, fewer people will want to contribute. Thomas Lerman 18:19, 16 June 2009 (UTC)