Columbia County, Oregon Genealogy
|Columbia County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||January 16, 1854|
|County Seat||St. Helens|
|Address|| Columbia County Courthouse|
244 Strand Street
St. Helens, OR 97051
Columbia County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 Quick Facts
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church History and Records
- 4.4 Court Records
- 4.5 Gazetteers
- 4.6 History
- 4.7 Land and Property
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Military History and Records
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Probate Records
- 4.12 Taxation
- 4.13 Vital Records
- 5 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
The County was named for the Columbia River. The County is located in the northwest area of the state. 
Columbia County, Oregon Record Dates
County Clerk has marriage records from 1890,
divorce and court records from 1854 and probate records from 1880. 
Records Held at the Courthouse
- County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Columbia County Court House as of May 2005.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Named for the Columbia River, which forms the northern and eastern boundaries.
- No parts were taken to create any county.
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator
The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Columbia County, Oregon Cemeteries.
- Oregon Department of Transportation 1978 Cemetery Survey
- Cemeteries managed by the city of Clatskanie
- Rainier Cemetery District
- Oregon Metro
- Oregon Genealogy Cemeteries
Territorial and State Census Records (Extant)
- 1845 (as part of Tuality County, aka Twality or Twalitain)
- 1849 (as part of Tuality County, aka Twality or Twalitain)
- 1853 (as part of Washington County)
Federal Census Records (Extant)
Church History and Records
Land and Property
Wiki articles describing land records online are found at Oregon, Columbia County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Military History and Records
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
World War I
- 1921-1938 - Oregon, World War I, Veteran State Aid Applications, 1921-1938 at FamilySearch — index and images
Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Historic Oregon Newspapers as a division of the Oregon Digital Newspaper Program has digitzied more than 644,000 pages of newspapers throughout Oregon. Dates range from 1846-1922 with selected issues continuing through 1973.
Of particular interest to Columbia County researchers:
The Columbia Register (Houlton)
The Columbian (St. Helens)
The Oregon Mist (St. Helens)
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Delayed Birth Certificates
- 1826-1975 - Oregon, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Extractions of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index
- Marriage Index 1885-1896 Actually is a book of affiants reporting the marriages. Historical Records Collection
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Columbia Gorge Genealogy Society
722 Court Street
The Dalles 97058
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Rainier Oregon Family History Center 27410 Parkdale Rd. Rainier 97048 United States Location Map
- St Helens Oregon Family History Center2755 Sykes Rd St Helens OR 97051 United States Location Map
- Vernonia Oregon Family History Center1350 East Knott Street Vernonia, OR 97064-9711 United States Location Map
- Columbia County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Columbia County GenWeb Project part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Columbia County
- The Columbia County Historian compiled by Christopher and Larry Rea
- Oregon, Columbia County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Columbia, Oregon" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_County,_Oregon accessed 27 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbia County, Oregon page 572, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- Wikipedia contributors, "Columbia County, Oregon"," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_County,_Oregon, accessed 3 October 2018.