Columbia County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Columbia County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Columbia County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||February 4, 1832|
|County Seat||Lake City|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Obituaries
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 5.15 Voters Registration
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Columbia County, Florida Record Dates
Columbia County Courthouse
145 N Hernando St; PO Box 2069
Lake City, FL 32055
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records from 1943,
marriage and land records from 1875,
divorce and court recordsc from 1892
and probate records from 1895; Public
Health Unit has birth, death and burial records
The County Seat is Lake City and the county was created February 4, 1832. The County is located in the North Central area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1848, 1860, 1867, and 1874 -- Columbia County Courthouses were burned by arsonists in 1848, 1860, 1867, and 1874. Most early records were destroyed.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web sites may have additional information on Columbia County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Columbia County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1885 Florida State Population Census - Includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Lake City
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Columbia County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- Maps of Florida (1821-1997)
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
- Columbia County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions Florida state pension records from various wars USGenWeb Pension Project
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1883 - Columbia County Pensioners on the Roll as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
World War I
- Index to Columbia County World War I Draft Registration - Scroll down to WWI. (USGenWeb Archives)
- Columbia County World War I Casualty List (Genealogy Trails)
World War II
- Index to Columbia County World War II Army Enlistees - Scroll down to WWII. (USGenWeb Archives)
- Columbia County World War II Casualty List (Genealogy Trails)
- Columbia County World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
- Columbia County Korean War Casualty List (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Columbia County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Florida Obituaries Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
Probate records are held by the Columbia County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Columbia County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1880 - 1935 - FamilySearch Florida, Births and Christenings, 1880-1935
- 1877 - 1939 - FamilySearch Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939
- 1900 - 1921 - FamilySearch Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- 1877 - 1998 - FamilySearch Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998
- 1802 - 1998 - Florida, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1837 - 1974 - FamilySearch Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974
- 1830 - 1993 - FamilySearch Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - FamilySearch Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida State Archives
1845 voters registration list for Columbia County.
Societies and Libraries
Columbia County Historical Society
810 S. Seventh St.
Lake City, FL 32055
- Random Acts of Kindness List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- FamilySearch Find a Family History Center
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Columbia County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Columbia County FLGenWeb
- Columbia County FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Columbia County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- State of Florida
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Columbia County, USGenWeb Archives.
- Columbia County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Columbia County FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbia County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Columbia County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_County,_Florida 04/24/2017.