The organization maintains 13 historic sites and 10 museum sites. Of greatest interest for Colorado genealogists is the Stephen H. Hart Library and Research Center, which has a newspaper collection, directories, indexes, access to Ancestry and digitized Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News.
Hart Research Center holdings include the following:
*marked items can be found in the online catalog:
- Books on Colorado and Western history, biography and fiction
- Manuscript collections – papers of Colorado individuals, organizations, and businesses
- Newspapers – more than 1700 Colorado newspaper titles, including 150 current titles.
- Serials covering industry, agriculture, archaeology, historic preservation, and social organizations
Photography collections – approximately one million images of Colorado and the West, including the William H. Jackson glass negative collection and the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad archives
- Maps of the state, Colorado cities, mines, railroads
- Directories – Colorado State Business, city and telephone directories
Subject collections –printed materials such as clippings and programs arranged in biographical, geographical, and topical files
C.W.A. Materials- reference files and interviews compiled by the Civil Works Administration and the Writer’s Project series
Artifact Collections- furniture, paintings, interior and industrial design, clothing, ethnography, archaeological collections, tools and machines, military items, and more
Research services - for those unable to come to the library in person
Copy service - staff copies material, subject to preservation and copyright review
Photographic and imaging services – our on-site studio provides photographic or scanned images
Address and Phone Number
History Colorado Center
1200 Broadway, 2nd Floor
Denver, CO 80203
Library catalog online: http://www.historycolorado.org/researchers/library-catalog
From the Denver Public Library:
Digital images: http://digital.denverlibrary.org.