Colorado, County Marriages - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Colorado, County Marriages,1864-1995
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Colorado|
|Location of Colorado|
|State Archives, Denver, Colorado|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of an index and images to marriage records for the years 1864 to 1995 from the following Colorado counties:
- Clear Creek,1864-1959
- Fremont,1874-1876, index, 1925-1929
- Kit Carson, 1889-1941; 1889-1982
- Logan, 1887-1972
- Moffat, 1911-1955
- Phillips, 1889-1995
- Saguache, 1869-1949
- Sedgwick, 1889-1973;1889-1994
- Washington, 1887-1959;1908-1992
- Yuma,1889-1954; index 1889-1995; 1922-1955
Marriages were recorded by the clerk of the district court for each county from the time the county was formed. Persons desiring to marry obtained a license that they presented to the minister or other person authorized to marry, such as a justice of the peace. Once the marriage was performed, the officiator sent a return to the clerk confirming that the marriage had occurred.
Civil marriage records were created to legalize marital relationships and to protect the interests of the wife and other heirs to legal claims on property.
The marriage date, place, residence of the bride and groom, and occupations are relatively reliable. Other information, such as age or birthplace, is dependent on the knowledge, memory, and accuracy of the informants, usually the bride and groom.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- The name of the groom
- The name of the bride, often including the maiden name of the bride
- Date and place of marriage
- Names of the officiator and witnesses
- Names of the parents of the bride and groom
- Residences of the bride and groom
- Ages and marital status of the bride and groom
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of marriage
- The place where the marriage occurred
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type, Year Range, Volume Number/Letter to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the information to find other records such as birth, christening, land and death records
- Search the county marriages to find additional family members
- Use the information to track the family in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Colorado.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Clear Creek. Marriage records, 1864-1959
- Fremont. Marriage licenses and certificates, 1874-1876 ; index to marriage certificates, 1925-1929
- Kit Carson. Marriage license index and certificates, 1899-1982
- Kit Carson. Marriage records, 1889-1941
- Logan. Marriage records, 1887-1972
- Moffat. Marriage records, 1911-1955
- Phillips. Marriage records, 1889-1995
- Saguache. Marriage records, 1869-1949
- Sedgwick. Marriage certificates, 1889-1973
- Sedgwick. Marriage records, 1889-1994
- Washington. Marriage records, 1887-1959
- Washington. Marriage records, 1908-1992
- Yuma. Marriage records, 1889-1954 ; Index 1889-1995
- Yuma. Marriage records, 1922-1955
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.