Colorado, County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Colorado, County Marriages,1864-1995
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Colorado, United States|
|Flag of Colorado|
|Location of Colorado|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of an index and images to marriage records for the years 1864 to 1995 from the following Colorado counties:
- Clear Creek
- Kit Carson
Marriages were recorded by the clerk of the district court for each county from the time the county was formed. Persons desiring to marry obtained a license that they presented to the minister or other person authorized to marry, such as a justice of the peace. Once the marriage was performed, the officiator sent a return to the clerk confirming that the marriage had occurred.
Civil marriage records were created to legalize marital relationships and to protect the interests of the wife and other heirs to legal claims on property.
The marriage date, place, residence of the bride and groom, and occupations are relatively reliable. Other information, such as age or birthplace, is dependent on the knowledge, memory, and accuracy of the informants, usually the bride and groom.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- The name of the groom
- The name of the bride, often including the maiden name of the bride
- Date and place of marriage
- Names of the officiator and witnesses
- Names of the parents of the bride and groom
- Residences of the bride and groom
- Ages and marital status of the bride and groom
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Colorado marriages, click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of marriage
- The place where the marriage occurred
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type, Year Range, Volume Number/Letter to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information to find other records such as birth, christening, land and death records
- Search the county marriages to find additional family members
- Use the information to track the family in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Consult the Colorado Research Tips and Strategies and its Record Finder to search other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 21 October 2016. State Archives, Denver.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.