Colorado, Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Colorado, Church Records, 1860-1951
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Colorado|
|Location of Colorado|
|Denver Public Library; Colorado State Archives, Denver|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of church records, from a variety of denominations in Colorado, covering the years 1692 to 1942. Some churches include:
- Fremont County
- Frazer Methodist Church (Florence)
- Coal Creek Methodist Church (Coal Creek)
- Rockvale Methodist Church (Rockvale)
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The information varies between sects and records. You may find any of the following:
- Name of church or congregation
- Location of the church
- Event dates and places (birth, baptism, marriage, death or burial)
- Names of parents, children, other family members, and witnesses
- Previous residences
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The ancestor’s name
- The religion in which your ancestor participated
- The location of the congregation or parish
- The approximate date of the event such as a christening or baptism
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for vital records, such as birth, marriage and death on the state and county level
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for land records
- Search for probate records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Colorado.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.