Colchester St Botolph, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Colchester St Botolph, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Colchester St Botolph, Essex|
St Botolph's Church, Colchester Essex
|Poor Law Union||Colchester|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Colchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
COLCHESTER, is a borough and a market town, it has a separate jurisdiction, and is the head of a union; it is locally in the Colchester division of the hundred of Lexden, and N. division of Essex.It contains the parishes of Bere-Church, Greenstead, Lexden, and Mile-End. Colchester is situation on the river Colne.
The parish of St. Botolph's adjoins the ruined church of the priory, it was erected in 1864 on the Ipswich road. The other parishes in the town are: All Saints, St. Giles, St. James, St. Leonard, St. Martin,St. Mary-at-the-Walls, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Nicholas, St. Runwald, Holy Trinity, St. Peter, and St. John. The places of worship within the borough, in 1851, were Church of England, Independents (1863), Baptists, Quakers (1076), Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists, the New Church, Latter Day Saints, and Roman Catholics.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Colchester St Botolph, Essex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Colchester St Botolph, Essex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Colchester St Botolph on GENUKI
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Adapted: Date Accessed 14 May 2013
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England (1870-72) Adapted: Date Accessed 14 May 2013
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- Batches C145741, J151141, K151141, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- Batches M145741, M151141, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 15 May 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 15 May 2012.