Cockermouth, Cumberland Genealogy
Guide to Cockermouth, Cumberland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Allerdale above Derwent|
|Poor Law Union||Cockermouth|
|Parish registers: 1632|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1689|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland|
|Location of Archive|
|Cumberland Record Office|
COCKERMOUTH (All Saints), an unincorporated borough, market-town, and parochial chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Brigham, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 25 miles (S. W.) from Carlisle, and 305 (N. W. by N.) from London. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, and Wesleyans.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Parish registers forAll Saints Church, Cockermouth, 1632-1881 at the FHL
Bishop's transcripts for All Saints Church, Cockermouth, 1689-1862 at the FHL
Parish registers for Christ Church, Cockermouth, 1865-1883 at the FHL
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Independent/Congregational - Births and baptisms at the FHL
- Primitive Methodist - Church records, 1893-1956 New Street Circuitn and Keswick and Cockermouth Circuit New Street Section at the FHL
- Society of Friends/Quaker - Marriages, births and burials, 1687-1797 Cockermouth Preparative Meeting at the FHL
- Wesleyan Methodist - Church records, 1841-1910 at the FHL
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cumberland Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Cockermouth on GENUKI
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), Date accessed and adapted 23 July 2013.