Cockayne Hatley, Bedfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Cockayne Hatley, Bedfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Cockayne Hatley, Bedfordshire|
|Poor Law Union||Biggleswade|
|Parish registers: 1701|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1602|
|Diocese||Pre-1837 - Lincoln; Post-1836 - Ely|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Bedford|
|Location of Archive|
|Bedfordshire Record Office|
COCKAYNE HATLEY or Hatley, Cockayne (St. John the Baptist), is a small parish in Bedfordshire that is on the border of Cambridgeshire, it is 3 miles east from the Potton station of the London and Northwestern Railway.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Cockayne Hatley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Cockayne Hatley Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs||
|FS Catalog BTs||
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Bedfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Cockayne Hatley on GENUKI
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 441-444. Date accessed: 07 November 2013