Clear Creek County, Colorado Genealogy
Guide to Clear Creek County, Colorado ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
County Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
County Courthouse[edit | edit source]
Clear Creek County Courthouse
Clear Creek County Clerk / Recorder
P.O. Box 2000
405 Argentine Street
Georgetown, CO 80444-2000
Clear Creek County Website
Clear Creek County Clerk and Recorder
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1862
Clear Creek and Jefferson County Vital Records
800 Jefferson County Parkway-Dakota Building
Golden, CO 80419
Clear Creek County, Colorado Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
History Timeline[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
Bible Records[edit | edit source]
Biographies[edit | edit source]
Business, Commerce, and Occupations[edit | edit source]
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
In 1860, present-day Colorado was enumerated in the Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Utah Territories. Colorado Territory was created in 1861 and was enumerated as such in the 1870 Census. A state census was taken in 1885 for Colorado. See links listed below.
State and Territory Census Records[edit | edit source]
- 1860 - United States Census, 1860 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Colorado was included in the 1860 Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Utah Territories Censuses
- 1870 - United States Census, 1870 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Colorado Territory Census
- 1885 - Colorado State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch - Index and images
- 1885 - Colorado State Census, 1885 at Ancestry - ($), Index and images
Federal Census Records[edit | edit source]
- 1860-1940 Colorado Census Records from 1860 to 1940 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
Online Church Records
- 1743-1970 - U.S., Presbyterian Records, 1743-1970 at Ancestry — ($); Index and images; Dates vary for each county
List of Churches and Church Parishes
Court Records[edit | edit source]
Numerous records are available at Colorado Archives. To use this link scroll down the page to where it asks for Record Type. Click there and scroll down the list to the records you want and select. The next field asks for county. Select the county you want and then click on Search. You can narrow the search by adding the additional information it asks for.
Directories[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups[edit | edit source]
Funeral Homes[edit | edit source]
Genealogies[edit | edit source]
Guardianship[edit | edit source]
Land and Property Records[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Online Land Records
- Colorado DPA Land Records - Index only; Choose Record Type, and search either "Land Patents" or "Land Records."
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796-1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1863-1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1863-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
- 1862-1908 - Denver Land Office Records, 1862-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index only
For more information see Colorado Land and Property
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
- Every Name Index to History of Clear Creek and Boulder Valleys, Colorado. Every Name Index compiled by Cathy L. O'Connor, 2011, original text by O. L. Baskin, 1880, reproduction by Unigraphic, Inc., 1971.
Online County Histories
- History of Clear Creek and Boulder Valley, Colorado. 1880. By Sanford Charles Gladden. Chicago, Illinois : O.L. Baskin. Online at: FamilySearch Digital Library, Hathitrust, Internet Archive; At various libraries (WorldCat).
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Colorado - shows boundary changes for Colorado Counties
- Colorado Historical Boundary Changes - list of all boundary changes by county provided by Newberry Library
Migration[edit | edit source]
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Online Collections[edit | edit source]
- Colorado State Archives Veterans Grave Registration Index at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Military - Grave
- Colorado Civil War Casualties Index at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Civil War Casualty
- 1861-1865 - Colorado State Archives Volunteers Transcript of Record Index (1861-1865) at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Transcript of Record
Spanish-American War (1898)
- 1898 - Colorado Volunteers in the Spanish American War, 1898 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Span-Am War Soldiers
World War I
- 1916-1919 - Colorado State Archives Denver War Risk Insurance Applicants, 1916-1919 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, War Risk Insurance
- 1917-1922 - Colorado State Archives World War I Civilian Service Questionnaires, 1917-1922 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, WWI Questionnaire
- 1917-1918 - Colorado Soldiers in WWI, 1917-1918 at Ancestry.com — ($), index
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Colorado, World War II Draft Registration Cards,1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1966 & 1968 - Colorado State Archives Vietnam War Casualties - June-December 1966 & January-December 1968 - at the Colorado State Archives website - Index only; In the Record Type field, select, Vietnam Deaths
For further information see Colorado Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship[edit | edit source]
- 1868-1990 - Colorado, State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1868-1990 at Ancestry ($); Index and images
- 1876-1990 - Colorado Naturalization Records, 1876-1990 at FamilySearch — index and images; District Court records
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
For more information, see Colorado Newspapers.
Colorado Newspapers Online
- Colorado Online Historical Newspapers online - in the Colorado Historic Newspaper Collection by the Colorado State Library
- Colorado Newspapers at Ancestry.com - ($)
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Colorado newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Colorado newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Colorado newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
- 1872-1874 - Daily Colorado Miner, Georgetown, online at Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection - free.
- 1876-1880 - Colorado Miner, Georgetown, online at Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection - free.
- 1877-1881 - Georgetown Courier, online at Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection - free.
Colorado Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
Other Records[edit | edit source]
For an excellent summary of the genealogical records available in Clear Creek County, see their website here.
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
- 1875–1974 Colorado Wills and Probate Records 1875-1974 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1881-1964 Colorado State Archives has provided an Index to the Clear Creek County Will Records for the years 1881 to 1964 on-line.
School Records[edit | edit source]
Colorado State Archives has provided an index to the official records of the Clear Creek County Superintendent of Schools that are in the custody of the State Archives. This record is a hand written document identifying the students who were enrolled in School District #5 in 1874. This district generally encompasses what today is the Idaho Springs area. The information contained in the record generally shows the name of the student, date of the record, and where in the school district the child resided.
Tax Records[edit | edit source]
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Place Search for the county.
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
See also Colorado Vital Records
Birth[edit | edit source]
Birth records may become public records when 100 years have elapsed after the date of birth. EXCEPTION: The birth record of any individual who is known to be currently alive will remain confidential even if they are 100 years of age or greater. 
For in-state births from 1903 to present, certificates can be obtained from Jefferson County Vital Statistics office. For birth certificates before 1903 contact the county where the birth occurred or the State Health Department at (303) 756-4464.
If you are obtaining a birth certificate for a sibling, parent, grandparent, etc., you will need to show chain of relationship. Examples are: A sibling could provide their birth certificate to show same parents. If you are trying to get a grandparent's birth certificate you will need to show your birth certificate, plus your parent's birth certificate to show chain of relationship. If you have questions on this please call our office at 303-271-6450.
Marriage[edit | edit source]
The earliest county marriage records are in the Clear Creek County Archives.*
The Clear Creek County Recorder's office will search their indexes if you call or visit the office.
- 1784-2007 - Colorado, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1809-2011 - Western States Marriage Index, 1809-2011 - Index, incomplete, list of counties included
- 1853-2006 - Colorado Statewide Marriage Index, 1853-2006 at FamilySearch.org - Index and images
- 1862-2006 - Colorado, County Marriages and State Indexes, 1862-2006 at Ancestry ($), Index and images
- 1864-1995 - Colorado, County Marriages, 1864-1995 at FamilySearch - Index and images
- 1882-1905 Marriage Licenses, 1882-1905 - an index of early marriage licenses
- 1900-1939 - Colorado, Statewide Marriage Index, 1900-1939 at Ancestry.com - ($); Browseable images of original index
Death[edit | edit source]
Death records may become public records when 75 years have elapsed after the date of death. 
Certificates can be obtained from the Jefferson County Vital Statistics office.To obtain a recent death certificate, you must show a direct and tangible interest to the deceased. Relatives include wife, mother, father, child (if they are listed on the death certificate). If they are not listed on the death certificate they must show proof of relationship. This would include maternal grandparents, paternal grandparents, siblings if they can prove chain of relationship. If you have questions on this please call our office at 303-271-6450.
Divorce[edit | edit source]
All divorces and divorce records are handled by the Clear Creek County Courts, Colorado Judicial District 5. Please contact their office directly at 303-679-2339.
- 1851-1985 Colorado, Divorce Index, 1851-1985 at Ancestry - ($); Index only
- 1900-1939 - Colorado Statewide Divorce Index, 1900-1939 at FamilySearch - Browseable images of original index
Research Facilities[edit | edit source]
Archives[edit | edit source]
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Clear Creek County, Colorado Genealogy in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
1880-1939 Divorce Index
1883-1900 Mine Accidents, Non - fatal
1936-1942 Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments
1966-1968 Vietnam Deaths
1867-1906 Clear Creek County Naturalization Records
1874 Clear Creek County School Census
1881-1947 Clear Creek County Will Record
1933-1935 Clear Creek County Old Age Pensions
1950-1964 Clear Creek County Wills
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
- For current information about a center near you, go to the Family History Center Map
- Frisco Colorado Family History Center
- Boulder Colorado Family history Center
- Arvada Colorado Family History Center
Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Clear Creek Library District
- John Tomay Memorial Library
605 Sixth Street
Georgetown, CO 80444
Telephone: (303) 569-2620
John Tomay Memorial Library
- Idaho Springs Public Library
219 14th Avenue
P.O. Box 1509
Idaho Springs, CO 80452
Museums[edit | edit source]
Societies[edit | edit source]
Foothills Genealogical Society of Colorado, Inc.
P.O. Box 150382
Lakewood, CO 80215-0382
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Clear Creek County COGenWeb
- FamilySearch Catalog - The FamilySearch catalog contains descriptions and access information for all genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) in their collection. Use Historical Records to search for specific individuals in genealogical records
- Clear Creek County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- EveryNameIndex.com Free online genealogy indexes for those big old county histories.
Research Guides[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, "Clear Creek County, Colorado Genealogy and History", http://genealogytrails.com/colo/clearcreek/ 6/27/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Clear Creek, Colorado," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Creek_County,_Colorado 6/27/2017.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clear Creek County, Colorado. Page 97At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clear Creek County, Colorado. Page 97 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 92.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Clear Creek County, Colorado," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Creek_County,_Colorado (accessed 25 March 2014)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Clear Creek County, Colorado," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Creek _County,_Colorado, accessed May 16, 2017.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses (Bountiful, UT: American Genealogical Lending Library, 1985), page 51-54; Alice Eichholz, ‘’Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources,’’ 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 2004), 86. Free online version; FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004; WorldCat entry.
- William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses (Bountiful, UT: American Genealogical Lending Library, 1985), page 54.
- Colorado Online Historical Newspapers, https://sites.google.com/site/onlinenewspapersite/Home/usa/co, accessed 19 July 2013.
- Letter from Colorado State Registrar, Dated September 1, 2011. Policy Number 2011- 08. http://www.colorado.gov
- The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 92.