Clarke County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Clarke County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clarke County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 5, 1801|
|Address|| Clarke County Courthouse|
325 E Washington Street Rm 200
PO Box 1868
Athens, GA 30601
Clarke County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 African Americans
- 4.3 Bible Records
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church Records
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land and Property
- 4.10 Local Histories
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Naturalization
- 4.14 Newspapers
- 4.15 Occupations
- 4.16 Probate Records
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 4.19 Voter Records
- 5 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Clarke County, Georgia Record Dates
Clarke County Courthouse
325 E Washington Street Rm 200
PO Box 1868
Athens, GA 30601
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, land and court records from 1801 and military records from 1922; County Health Department has birth and death records from 1919; Probate Court had marriage and probate records from 1801.
Clerk of Superior Court
325 E. Washington St., Rm. 450
P.O. BOX 1805 (30603)
Athens, GA 30601
Phone: (706) 613-3190
Athens and Clark Counties Clerk's Website
Probate Court of Clarke County
Clarke County Courthouse
325 East Washington Street
Athens, GA 30601
Phone: (706) 613-3320
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Clarke County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
First Methodist Episcopal Church, Athens
- 1825-1884 - First Methodist Episcopal Church, Athens, Baptism Index 1825-1884. Batch C712491 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1825-1884 - First Methodist Episcopal Church, Athens, Marriage Index 1825-1884. Batch M712491 at FamilySearch - free.
Methodist Episcopal Church South, Winterville
- 1890-1895 - Methodist Episcopal Church South, Winterville, Baptism Index 1890-1895. Batch C712501 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1890-1895 - Methodist Episcopal Church South, Winterville, Marriage Index 1890-1895. Batch M712501 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Index to Deed Boo A 1802-1804 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Local histories are available for Clarke County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- History of Athens and Clarke County. Athens, Ga.?: H.J. Rowe, 1923. Digital version at Ancestry.
- Maps of Georgia (1758-1932)
- Historical Maps from Hargrett Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Univ. of Georgia Libraries
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps from the Digital Library of Georgia. Most Georgia towns and cities up to 1923. Athens maps for years 1885 and 1893.
- Military - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Clarke County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Clarke County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - Carlton's Company, Georgia Artillery (Troup Artillery) (Confederate)
- - 3rd Battalion, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) Companies K and L
- - 5th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company N
- -37th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company E
- - 44th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) Company C
- - 66th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company I
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Jones, Charles C., and Joseph B. Cuimming. 1993. Military operations in Georgia during the War between the States: address delivered before the Confederate Survivors Association in Augusta, Georgia upon the occasion of its fifteenth annual reunion on Memorial Day, April 26th, 1893. Conway, Arkansas: Olbuck Press. 975.8 M29j
- Stegeman, John F. 1964. These Men She Gave: Civil War Diary of Athens, Georgia. Athens, Ga: University of Georgia Press. (page 146-158) 975.818 M25st
- Georgia. Inferior Court (Clarke County). 1960. Bonds to support families of Confederate soldiers 1861-1869, and discharge certificates of Confederate soldiers 1864 [Clarke County, Georgia]. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Film 214554 item 1,2,3
- Mitchell, Albert L. 1960. Roster of companies furnished by Clarke County, Georgia, to the Confederate Army in the War between the States, 1861-1865. [S.l.]: Mann Film Laboratories. Film 219472 item 3
World War I
- 1920-1929 - Georgia, World War I, Statement of Service Cards, 1920-1929 at FamilySearch — index and images
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Clarke County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Clarke County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Athens Historic Newspaper Archives - Digital Library of Georgia contains full-text issues of 5 historic Athens newspapers. Titles include Athenian (1827-1832), Southern Banner (1832-1882), Southern Watchman (1855-1882),Daily/Weekly Banner-Watchman (1882-1889), Daily/Weekly Athens Banner (1889-1922). Search or Browse available. Viewing papers requires download of free DjVu Browser Plug-in.
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org index and images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Athens-Clarke County Probate Court Genealogical links and resources.
- 1842-1859 - Wills 1842-1859 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1803-1842 - Wills (1803-1842) (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1803-1822 - Index to Will Bk C 1803-1822 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1822-1842 - Index to Will Bk C 1822-1842 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1859-1885 - Index to Will Bk D 1859-1885 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1885-1911 - Index to Will Bk E 1885-1911 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1799-1819 - Index to Mixed Estates 1799-1819 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1797-1949 - Index to Unbound Estates 1797-1949 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1799-1830 - Index to Mixed Estates 1799-1830 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and all slaves up to age 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
- 1802, 1805, 1810 Tax Digest (digital) Georgia Pioneers $
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online.
- 1560 - 1993 - Georgia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1885 - 1886 - Marriages from Newspapers 1885-1886 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1805 - 1852 - Clarke County Marriage Books A thru D Index 1805-1852. Batch M531921 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1808 - Clarke County Marriage Index 1808. Batch M531927 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1846 - 1872 - Clarke County Marriage Books D and E Index 1846-1872. Batch M531922 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1871 - 1885 - Clarke County Marriage Books F thru H Index 1871-1885. Batch M531923 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1886 - 1890 - Clarke County Marriage Books F thru H Index 1886-1890. Batch M531924 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1890 - 1901 - Clarke County Marriage Books I and J Index 1890-1901. Batch M531925 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-50, 1879-80 - Clarke County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry.
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1942 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
- 1867-1868 - Georgia, Reconstruction Registration Oath Books, 1867-1868 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Georgia Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical Genealogical Societies
- Athens Historical Society
- Clarke-Oconee Genealogical Society
- Athens-Clarke County Library Heritage Room
- Hargrett Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Univ. of Georgia Libraries
- University of Georgia Main Library
- University of Georgia Map Library
- University of Georgia, Government Documents Collection
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Clarke County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Clarke County, GAGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Clarke County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Digital Library of Georgia - Digital Library of Georgia contains is a gateway to Georgia's history and culture found in digitized books, manuscripts, photographs, government documents, newspapers, maps, audio, video, and other resources. The Digital Library of Georgia connects users to a million digital objects in more than 200 collections from 60 institutions and 100 government agencies. Though this represents only a fraction of Georgia's cultural treasures, the Digital Library of Georgia continues to grow through its partnerships with libraries, archives, museums, government agencies, and allied organizations across the state. Viewing requires download of free DjVu Browser Plug-in.
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers.
- USGenweb Clarke County, Georgia project
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clarke County, Georgia. Page 153 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 20. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.