Clapham Holy Trinity, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Clapham Holy Trinity, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Clapham Holy Trinity, Surrey|
|Poor Law Union||Wandsworth and Clapham|
|Parish registers: 1551|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1679|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Winchester; Post-1844 - London|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
CLAPHAM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Wandsworth and Clapham, E. division of the hundred of Brixton and of the county of Surrey, 4 miles (S.) from London. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Baptists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Genealogy From Periodicals
Proctor, Patricia. The Proctor Family, Yorkshire - Norfolk - London - Surrey. History of Francis Proctor and Ann Kett starting in 1658, with movements to Martham, Slaidburn, Clapham Surrey, with the following surnames. Snarr, Cullyer, Hatch, Sexton, Blackbourne, Bates, Linford, Bartlett, dating from 1658-1991. Article in The Norfolk Ancestor, vol. 7. pt 9. June 1995, pages 317-319, Family History Library Ref 942.61 B2j V.7 n.6-17
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Date accessed: 03 September 2013.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Holy Trinity, Clapham in Lambeth Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Clapham Holy Trinity in Lambeth Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Clapham Holy Trinity in Lambeth Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Clapham Holy Trinity in Lambeth Borough. Partially indexed.
- Batches C058451, C058452, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- Batches M058451, M058452, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'Greater London Burials: South London Burials: Parishes, Period and Counts,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.