Christ Church, Newcastle upon Tyne,Northumberland
The parish was created in 1861 at Shieldfield Green from the parish of All Saints Newcastle upon Tyne and was one of several parishes to accompany the rapid growth of Byker. Other parishes to follow were St Michael's on Headlam Street, Byker (1862); St Anthony's, also in Byker (1868); and St Cuthbert, Shieldfield in 1879. Christ Church was itself divided when St Jude was built in 1884.
The expansion of Byker and Heaton resulted in the subdivision of St Michael's and the building of several more churches between 1886 and 1933.
Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections DDR/EA/PBT/2/189 1861-1863 Parish Register transcripts are available to search free online at Record Search.
The dates of the post-1760 transcripts have been noted in detail and sometimes only cover years. For most parishes in the collection there are gaps in the sequence of transcripts. It is advisable to consult the original parish registers for these years and events.
Parish registers 1861-1989 are available through Northumberland Collections Service(EP 7)