Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire|
|Poor Law Union||Chipping Sodbury|
|Registration District||Chipping Sodbury|
|Parish registers: 1661|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Diocese||Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
SODBURY, CHIPPING (St. John the Baptist),a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the Lower division of the hundred of Grumbald'sAsh, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 28miles (S. S. W.) from Gloucester, and 113 (W. by S.)from London. There are meeting-houses for Baptists and the Society of Friends. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|CHIPPING SODBURY PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any additional sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 129-133.Date accessed: 11 February 2013.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813,' Ancestry, accessed 17 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 23 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Marriages, 1754-1938,' Ancestry, accessed 21 June 2016.
- 'Gloucestershire, England, Burials, 1813-1988,' Ancestry, accessed 5 July 2016.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 1 December 2012.
- 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 April 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.