Chippewa County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Chippewa County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Chippewa County, Wisconsin|
Location in the state of Wisconsin
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||February 3, 1845|
|County Seat||Chippewa County|
|Address|| Chippewa County Courthouse|
711 North Bridge Street
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729-1876
- 1 County Information
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Bible Records
- 3.2 Biographies
- 3.3 Business Records
- 3.4 Cemeteries
- 3.5 Census Records
- 3.6 Church Records
- 3.7 Court Records
- 3.8 Directories
- 3.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 3.10 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 3.11 Gazetteers
- 3.12 Genealogies
- 3.13 Histories
- 3.14 Land and Property
- 3.15 Maps
- 3.16 Military Records
- 3.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 3.18 Newspapers
- 3.19 Obituaries
- 3.20 Probate Records
- 3.21 Public Records
- 3.22 Repositories
- 3.23 School Records
- 3.24 Taxation
- 3.25 Vital Records
- 3.26 Voter Registration
- 3.27 Websites
- 4 References
Chippewa County, Wisconsin Record Dates
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Yellow River Cemetery USGenWeb Archives
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
- 1850 - 1850 Federal Census Chippewa County, Wisconsin (File 1 of 2) USGenWeb Archives
- 1850 - 1850 Federal Census Chippewa County, Wisconsin (File 2 of 2) USGenWeb Archives
- 1850 - 1850 Chippewa County, Wisconsin, Census images USGenWeb Archives
- 1860 - 1860 Chippewa County, Wisconsin, Census images USGenWeb Archives
- 1910 - 1910 Chippewa County, Wisconsin, Census images USGenWeb Archives
Central Lutheran Church, Chippewa Falls
- Records of Central Lutheran Church, Chippewa Falls, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com. ($)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Wisconsin Land Patents Database: Chippewa County WIGenWeb Project
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Chippewa County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from Chippewa County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Chippewa County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company I
- - 7th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company A
- - 14th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company G
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
World War II, 1941-1945
Chippewa County Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Chippewa County (WI) Genealogical Society
123 Allen Street
Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
Chippewa County Historical Society
Bloomer Historical Society
Cadott Area Historical Society
Stanley Area Historical Society
Area Research Center - University of Wisconsin
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Chippewa County Courthouse
711 North Bridge Street
Chippewa Falls, Wi 54729-1876
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1868, marriage records
from 1860, divorce records from 1870, land records from 1856,
naturalization records 1895-1955 and 1905 State Census,
Register in Probate has probate records
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Chippewa County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Chippewa County WIGenWeb
- Chippewa County USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 755 Chippewa County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).