Chile Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Chile Civil Registration, 1885-1932
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Republic of Chile|
|Location of Chile|
|Record Type:||Civil Records|
|Title in the Language:||Registros Civiles de Chile|
|National General Archives, Santiago, Chile|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues With This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes records of births, marriages, and deaths for various localities in Chile from 1885 to 1932.
The majority of the records have been well-preserved. Some may be faded but are still readable if the image is enlarged. Some earlier records were handwritten in narrative style, however, the majority of the records were handwritten in formatted registers with a similar style as to a ledger.
These records are organized by province, according to the jurisdictions in place at the time of the creation of the records. Only records from a few localities have been indexed. More records and images will be added as they become available.
For a complete list of all the provincias and comunas included in this collection, see the Provinces of Chile - Civil Registration coverage table.
Reading These Records
For help reading these Spanish records see the following:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Chile Civil Registration, 1885-1932.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information is usually found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?
You can search the index or view the images or both. Before using this collection it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Province
- Select Municipality
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Chile Civil Registration, 1885-1903. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Consult Chile Record Finder to find other records
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
- Consult Chile Record Finder to find other records
Known Issues With This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Chile, Registro Civil, 1885-1932." Database and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 5 April 2018. Registro Civil Archivo General (Civil Registration General Archives), Santiago.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.