Chetnole, Dorset Genealogy
Guide to Chetnole, Dorset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Sherborne|
|Parish registers: 1847; For more records see Yetminster|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None; For records see Yetminster|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Prebend of Yetminster and Grimston|
|Location of Archive|
|Dorset Record Office|
CHETNOLE, a chapelry in Yetminster parish, Dorset; on the Dorchester and Yeovil railway, near the Roman road from Dorchester, 2¾ miles N of Evershot railway station, and 6½ SSW of Sherborne. It has a post office under Sherborne.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- John M. Wilson Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72. Date accessed: 05 July 2103.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.