Chester Castle, Cheshire Genealogy
|Chester Castle, Cheshire|
Chester Castle 1747
|Poor Law Union||Chester Incorporation|
|Registration District||Great Boughton|
|Parish registers: For records see surrounding parishes|
|Bishop's Transcripts: For records see surrounding parishes|
|Rural Deanery||Not Applicable|
|Probate Court||Search the courts of the surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
CHESTER CASTLE is in common with many other castles, Chester was pressed back into use during the English civil war and suffered as a consequence when the Parliamentarians besieged it between September 1645 and February 1646.
"... On the left-hand is a chappell and hard by adjoining thereunto, the goodly fair and large Shire-Hall newly repaired where all matters of Law touching the County Palatine are heard, and judicially determined..." 
Chester Castle was an extra-parochial place within the city of Chester , which became a civil parish in 1858, and has remained a separate enclave from the parish and borough of Chester.
Including Chester Barracks and Chester Gaol.
Chester Castle is an area around the castle in Chester. It was historically an extra-parochial area and today remains a civil parish, although with no inhabitants in recent decades.
The parish is bounded by Castle Drive to the south, Grosvenor Street (the A483) to the west, and Castle Street and St Mary's Hill to the east. Apart from the castle/prison, the parish also includes the Crown Courts, County Hall, and the Cheshire Military Museum. In April-May 1966, the infamous Moors murders case was tried at Cheshire Crown Court.
It was part of the Chester Rural District, despite being in the middle of the city, and did not form part of Chester County Borough. This meant that County Hall was actually in the administrative county of Cheshire which it administered. The Local Government Act 1972 saw it become part of Chester District, along with the rest of Chester Rural District. Since April 2009 County Hall has been the headquarters of the Cheshire West and Chester Council.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Chester Castle parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Chester Castle Parish Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1824-1830
|FS BT'S|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
The following registration districts served the Greater Chester City region:
- Great Boughton (1837–69)
- Chester (1870–1937)
- West Cheshire (1937–74)
- Chester and Ellesmere Port (1974–98)
- Cheshire West (post 1998)
Poor Law Unions
1871-1930 Chester Poor Law Union
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Chester Castle on GENUKI
- Chester Castle Date Accessed: 15 March 2013