|Cheshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
- The Chetham Society is the oldest historical society in North-West England. It was founded in 1843 for the publication of Remains Historical and Literary connected with the Palatine Counties of Lancaster and Chester, and was named in honour of Humphrey Chetham.
Historic Society of Lancashire & Cheshire
Liverpool Central Library
William Brown St
Liverpool, Lancashire L3 8EW UK
Telephone: 0161 439 2316
Website: Historic Society of Lancashire & Cheshire
- The Society is a charity which exists for educational purposes to promote the study of any aspect of the history of the Palatine counties of Lancashire and Cheshire.
- The Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society was founded in 1883 to promote the study of the history of Lancashire and Cheshire. Its sphere includes archaeology (both traditional and industrial), economic and social history, architecture and the arts, and folklore. Its range extends from antiquity to the more recent past. Although the Society is based on Manchester, its studies and activities embrace the region.
- The Society is dedicated to the recording of the past and present of Marple – including Mellor, Compstall, Marple Bridge, Strines, Rose Hill, Hawk Green, and High Lane.
- The North West Catholic History Society promotes the study of the history of the Catholic Church in the region west of the Pennines, the old counties of Cheshire, Cumberland, Lancashire, and Westmorland.
- The Ranulf Higden Society transcribes and translates medieval Latin documents associated with Lancashire, Cheshire, Staffordshire, and Derbyshire. Some people for their own purposes need to read and understand medieval records written in Latin or Anglo-Norman but do not have the benefit of the kind of support normally provided by postgraduate courses in universities. The Society was formed to provide a means by which they might receive continuing instruction in various relevant fields and encourage and support.
- The Record Society of Lancashire and Cheshire publishes the texts of historic documents relating to the two counties - everything from wills, deeds and inquests to letters and financial accounts. Each volume includes a scholarly introduction to the text.
Altrincham History Society
Altrincham Town Hall
25 Market Street
Greater Manchester, Lancashire WA14 1PG UK
Telephone: 0161 928 1583
Website: Altrincham History Society
- Providing information on local and social history of Ashton, Sale, and the Greater Manchester area.
Audlem & District History Society
Scout and Guide Hall
Audlem, Cheshire CW3 0AL UK
Website: Audlem & District History Society
Website #2: Audlem & District History Society
- The Society covers all areas of Cheshire East.
Backford, Mollington & District Local History Society
Mollington, Backford & District Village Hall
Mollington, Cheshire CH1 6NT UK
Telephone: 01244 851717
Website: Backford, Mollington & District Local History Society
- The Aims of the Society's meetings are devoted to a programme of talks on topics of local historical interest, or on wider issues which relate to such events in the village; visits to local and distant sites, landscapes, properties, buildings, record offices, archives etc.; meetings at which local research is planned and carried out; and the experiences of growing up in the village and family life in the 20th century and before.
Birkenhead Family History Society
Birkenhead Fire Station
Liverpool, Lancashire CH41 4AX UK
Telephone: 0151 652 6755
Website: Birkenhead Family History Society
- Hold monthly meetings and help desks to help people with their research into their Family History and Heritage.
- Our passion is for the history of the Wirral Peninsula, and of the town of Birkenhead in particular.
Bowdon History Society
Bowdon Downs Church
Greater Manchester, Lancashire WA14 2AH UK
Telephone: 0161 928 8975/07531 900518
Website: Bowdon History Society
- Local history and preservation society
Burton & Neston History Society
Gladstone Village Hall
Neston, Cheshire CH64 5TH UK
Website: Burton & Neston History Society
Website #2: Burton & Neston History Society
Website #3: Burton & Neston History Society
- The Society's prime purpose is to study and research local history in the Neston & Burton areas, book publishing, talks, outings, and community events.
- The Association’s purpose is to provide an umbrella service for all local history and heritage societies within the bounds of the ancient County Palatine of Chester, and to bring together individuals and organisations interested in all aspects of local history. It also seeks to improve communication between individual members and societies both within Cheshire and beyond.
- We exist to promote understanding and appreciation of archaeology, history and architecture in the historic county of Cheshire plus neighbouring areas and of these subjects generally.
Culcheth Local History Group
Culcheth Community Centre
2 Jackson Avenue
Warrington, Cheshire WA3 4EL UK
Telephone: 01925 752276
Website: Culcheth Local History Group
- The aim of the group was to delve into the past and hopefully produce small booklets on different areas of our past. We cover the area from Risley to Glazebury, and Winwick, Croft and, of course, Culcheth.
- The main work of the Group for the past two or three years has been the building up of an oral history collection. There is also an on-going collection of local material, started in 1999, of various items such as programmes, posters, photographs of local events, newspaper cuttings, etc.
Eastham Archives Group
Telephone: 0151 327 3576
- We collect, store, record, and archive all historical material relating to the Parish of Easham including Eastham Ferry & gardens, Eastham Village, Whitby, Childer Thornton, Hooton, Great & Little Sutton, and Poole.
Ellesmere Port Local & Family History Society
Tom Rolt Conference Centre
National Waterways Museum (Boat Museum)
Wirral, Cheshire CH65 4FW UK
Email #2: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: Ellesmere Port Local & Family History Society
Family History Society of Cheshire
Wesley Place Methodist Church Hall
Alsager, Cheshire ST7 2AF UK
Website: Alsager Group
The Bebington Suite
Bebington Civic Centre
Wirral, Cheshire CH63 7PT UK
Website: Bebington Group
United Reformed Church
77 Robins Ln
Stockport, Cheshire SK7 2EF UK
Website: Bramhall Group
All Saints Church
2 Vicarage Road
Hoole, Chester CH2 3HZ UK
Website: Chester Group
Hartford Methodist Church Hall
Northwich, Cheshire CW8 3AD UK
Website: Computer Group
Congleton, Cheshire CW12 1ET UK
Website: Congleton Group
Room1 (Hilary Suite)
Crewe, Cheshire CW1 2BB UK
Website: Crewe Group
Salvation Army Church
Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 6UT UK
Website: Macclesfield Group
Nantwich Methodist Church Centre
Nantwich, Cheshire CW5 5RP UK
Website: Nantwich Group
Hartford Methodist Church Hall
Northwich, Cheshire CW8 3AB UK
Website: Northwich Group
Runcorn, Cheshire WA7 1DH UK
Website: Runcorn Group
Trinity Methodist Church
Sale, Cheshire M33 3ED UK
Website: Sale Group
Old Chapel Dukinfield
Dukinfield, Cheshire SK16 4BT UK
Website: Tameside Group
Little Budworth Village Hall
Tarporley, Cheshire CW6 9BP UK
Website: Tarporley Group
Claremount Road Methodist Church
Wallasey, Cheshire CH45 6UE UK
Website: Wallasey Group
West Wirral Group
Westbourne Hall Community Centre
59 Westbourne Rd
Wirral, Cheshire CH48 4DQ UK
Website: West Wirral Group
- The Family History Society of Cheshire (FHSC) was founded in 1969 to advance the study of family history and genealogy, and we now have members worldwide. As well as helping people with ancestors in Cheshire, we also assist members living locally whose ancestors originated elsewhere.
- The Society aims to promote the study of, and interest in, history and archaeology with particular reference to Frodsham and the surrounding district.
Macclesfield History Society
Macclesfield, Cheshire SK10 1EE UK
Telephone: 01244 972559
Website: Macclesfield History Society
- The Society was established to hold lectures, discussions, meetings and outings relevant to the study of local history, and to invite speakers as funds will allow; to encourage the preservation of all property, real or personal of historical archaeological or historical interest, value or beauty in the area and the provision wherever possible of access to such properties by the public; to collect material relevant to the study of local history such as books, maps, photographs, printed material and other works; to preserve and transcribe source material in any appropriate medium, and to buy on behalf of the Society any materials approved by the committee for the use of the members; to promote individual and group projects, researching local history; and to inculcate interest in local history and present environment in young people.
North Cheshire Family History Society
Website: North Cheshire Family History Society
- We regret that owing to insufficient support the Society has been wound up. Our assets, including our library, have been passed to the Family History Society of Cheshire.
Northwich & District Heritage Society
The Grange Theatre
The Grange School
Northwich, Cheshire CW8 1LU UK
Telephone: 01606 350625
Website: Northwich & District Heritage Society
- The Society covers the town of Northwich and the surrounding District where its Aims can be applied effectively. The Aims of the Society are to promote the conservation of the historical, archaeological, architectural, and environmental heritage, and to increase public awareness of the heritage around them and the benefits that membership of the Society can bring.
Preston Brook And District Local History Group
The Methodist Hall
8 Windmill Lane
Preston on the Hill
Warrington, Cheshire WA4 4AZ UK
The Lewis Carroll Centre
Daresbury, Cheshire WA4 4AE UK
Telephone: 01928 712509
Website: Preston Brook And District Local History Group
Website #2: Preston Brook And District Local History Group
Pulford & Poulton Local History Group
Pulford Village Hall
Pulford, Cheshire CH4 9DG UK
Telephone: 01244 571040
Website: Pulford & Poulton Local History Group
- The local history group provides talks on topics of historical interest and also visits to places of special appeal. The group continues to develop its archive of records, documents, and photographs kindly donated by local people over many years. This facilitates research and the development of publications.
Sandbach History Society
Sandbach, Cheshire CW11 1FJ UK
Telephone: 01270 760810
Website: Sandbach History Society
- The aims of the society shall be to promote the study of, and interest in, local history, with particular reference to Tarporley, Bunbury, and District. The Society aims to maintain a collection of artefacts, photographs, books, and documents at the discretion of the committee.
- The Group shall promote and advance local community awareness of the local history of the Upton-by-Chester area. This shall be done by providing an opportunity for its members to share their interests in the local history and to participate by discussion, research, and the preparation and presentation of papers, websites, documents, photographs, recollections, etc. The Group has published a major Upton History book and more projects are planned.
- Wallasey Historical Society has as objects to stimulate and encourage the study of the History of Wallasey and District by means of discussions, lectures, and research.
Warrington History Society
Friars Green Independent Methodist Chapel
Warrington, Cheshire WA1 1EH UK
Telephone: 01925 813669
Website: Warrington History Society
- The Society’s aim is to encourage an interest in all aspects of local history with particular reference to Warrington and its surrounding areas.
Weaverham History Society
University Primary Academy Weaverham (formerly Wallerscote Community School)
Northwich, Cheshire CW8 3B UK
Telephone: 01606 852252
Website: Weaverham History Society
Website (old): Weaverham History Society
- Weaverham History Society promotes the study of and interest in history and archaeology with particular reference to Weaverham and the surrounding area.
- Its aims are to further the study of local history in Wilmslow and beyond and pass on knowledge to the local community.
Winsford History Society
Winsford, Cheshire CW7 1QH UK
Telephone: 01606 557983
Website: Winsford History Society
Website #2: Winsford & District Historical Society
- The Winsford History Society was first established in November 1966 to collect, collate, and preserve historical information about Winsford and the surrounding area.
- The Wirral History and Heritage Association (WHHA) is for anyone interested in the history and heritage of Wirral. We act as an umbrella organisation for both individuals and the peninsula's numerous local history groups and societies with the aim of fostering and promoting Wirral’s rich and varied history and heritage.
Wirral Local History Group
- Wirral Local History Group aims to promote importance of local history education & historical research. The Group is currently focusing on the history of Brimstage Village.