Cherokee County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Cherokee County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cherokee County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Cherokee County Courthouse
Murphy North Carolina 28906
Clerk Superior Court has divorce records,
Registrar of Deeds has land records
Register of Deeds
75 Peachtree Street, Suite 126-A
Murphy, NC 28906
Clerk of Superior Court
75 Peachtree St Rm 201
Murphy, NC 28906
Telephone: (828) 835-7740
Proud, resourceful people -- many descended from the Cherokee Indians who once lived in the region now known as Cherokee County -- welcome visitors to share their peaceful spot in the Blue Ridge Mountains, if only for a little while. It is no wonder why the Cherokees made the area their home or why they hid in the mountains when the Indian removal took place in 1838.
Hundreds of waterfalls and creeks, forests filled with wildflowers and tall pines wrapped in mountain breezes invite strangers to stay awhile and enjoy one of Mother Nature's finest creations.
Descendants of hearty Scottish and English settlers who married fine young Indian maidens carry on traditions from generations past. Descendants who never lived in Cherokee County venture back "home" to find their roots. Murphy, the county seat, offers a wealth of history at its courthouse, library and the Cherokee County Historical Museum which is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Travelers passing through the small communities surrounding the town of Murphy such as Hanging Dog, Culberson and Grape Creek may want to stay and experience the warmth of the people at the spring festival or the Christmas parade in Murphy or the fall festival at the John C. Campbell Folk School in nearby Brasstown.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1865, 1895, 1926--Courthouse fires destroyed many court records.
- Fannin County, Georgia
- Monroe County, Tennessee
- Polk County, Tennessee
- Union County, Georgia
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Cherokee County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Cherokee County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Cherokee County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- 39th Regiment, NC Confederate Troops
- 2nd Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company A
- 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company G
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- 1869 - 1934 - Will Books A to B (1869-1934) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Images of Wills and Estates, Vol. 1, 1869-1918; Vol. 2, 1918-1934. North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1926 - 1975 - North Carolina, County Divorce Records, 1926-1975 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1958 - 2004 -North Carolina Divorce Index 1958-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1869 - 1939 - Cherokee County Marriage Index 1869-1939. Batch M752368 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Buncombe County, North Carolina
128 Bingham Road, Suite 950
Asheville, North Carolina 28806
Cherokee County Historical Society
205 Peachtree Street
Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indian Enrollment Office
PO Box 455
Cherokee, NC 28719
Telephone Number: 828-497-7000
To be eligible for enrollment with the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indian requirements must be met
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Cherokee County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- NCGenWeb Cherokee County - many records of all kinds for the County
- Western NC Genealogy Resource Center - Census, Marriage, Birth & Death records, Cemetery,Military, and various other kinds of records for Cherokee County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cherokee County, North Carolina. Page 507 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.