Cheam, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Cheam, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Epsom|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1671|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon, and Shoreham; Post-1845 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
CHEAM (St. Dunstan), a parish, in the union of Epsom, Second division of the hundred of Wallington, E. division of Surrey, 1½ mile (N. E. by E.) from Ewell.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Cheam St Dunstan parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Sutton Parish Registers (Ancestry) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|Cheam St Dunstan Parish Records Online|
Cheam Common St Philip parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Cheam Common St Philip Parish Records Online|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Date accessed: 26 September 2013.
- 'About Sutton, Surrey, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 11 April 2016.
- 'About Sutton, Surrey, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915,' Ancestry, accessed 11 April 2016.
- 'About Sutton, Surrey, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1940,' Ancestry, accessed 11 April 2016.
- 'About Sutton, Surrey, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-1985' Ancestry, accessed 11 April 2016.
- Reid, John D. 'Ancestry adds Sutton, Surrey records,' Canada's Anglo-Celtic Connections, 9 April 2016, http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.com/2016/04/ancestry-adds-sutton-surrey-records.html, accessed 11 April 2016.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.