Charlton Mackrell, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Charlton Mackrell, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Charlton Mackrell, Somerset|
Charlton Mackrell Somerse
|Poor Law Union||Langport|
|Parish registers: 1575|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
CHARLTON-MACKREL (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Langport, hundred of Somerton, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (E.) from Somerton.
Charlton Mackrell St Mary The Virgin is an Ancient Parish in the Ilchester deanery of the Diocese of Bath and Wells in the Somerton hundred of the county of Somerset.
Other places in the parish include: Lytescary and Cary Fitzpaine.
The parish consists of two villages, Charlton Mackrell and Charlton Adam, together known as "The Charltons". There are also small settlements at Lytes Cary, Cary Fitzpaine (east of the A37 Fosse Way) and West Charlton. West Charlton is the original settlement of the village of Charlton Mackrell in earlier centuries, the settlement pattern moved away over time.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Charlton Mackrell, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|CHARLTON MACKRELL PARISH Online Records|
Church records on microfilm[edit | edit source]
Parish registers for Charlton-Mackrell, 1575-1901 Microreproduction of original records housed at the Somerset Archives and Local Studies, Taunton.
Somerset Archives and Local Studies: D/P CHA.MA 2/1/1-7, 2/2/2.
|Baptisms, 1575-1874. Marriages, 1575-1838. Banns, 1783-1901. Burials, 1575-1812. (Poor legibility in first register, but includes indexed transcriptions to 1612.)
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526463 Items 34 - 41
Bishop's transcripts for Charlton-Mackrell, 1599-1826 Microreproduction of original manuscripts housed at the Somerset Archives and Local Studies, Taunton.
Somerset Archives and Local Studies: D/D/Rr 89-89a
|Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1599-1639, 1662-1663, 1704-1732, 1748, 1752, 1806-1826. Some other years also missing or in poor condition.
||FHL BRITISH Film |
1278917 Items 18-19
[edit | edit source]
England Vital Records Index (FamilySearch Historical Records) known issue Indexing project batch I04481-4 is incorrect. The data entry for place names is incorrect for film 1526463 and affects the parishes of Chard, Somersetshire , Charlcombe, Somersetshire, Charlton Adam, Somersetshire, Charlton Horethorne, Somersetshire
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Tax records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 31 October 2012.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1531-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Baptisms, 1813-1913,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Marriage Registers, Bonds and Allegations, 1754-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- 'Somerset, England, Church of England Burials, 1813-1914,' Ancestry, accessed 22 July 2016.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 February 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 21 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.
- West Country Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.
- E 179 Database, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/, accessed 8 August 2013.