Charleston, Orleans County, Vermont Genealogy
The town of Charleston was granted on November 10, 1780 by the Vermont Legislature. The town was originaly named Navy by the Commodore Abraham Whipple of Rhode Island, who was the first named grantee. None of the original grantees ever resided in the town.
History of the town of Charleston, Vermont (Navy, 1803-1825), by Esther B. Hamilton (1955) - view a digital copy of this book online.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
Enrolled Militia (Charleston, Vermont), 1862-1866, records are available on microfilm at the Family History Library.
Orleans Probate Division
247 Main Street
Newport, VT · 05855
Phone: (802) 334-3305
The following is a list of major cemeteries in present-day Charleston. For location of all cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Orleans County, website at this link.
- Buck Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Crawford Hill Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- Hillside Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
- West Village Cemetery - inscriptions at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1806 -1999, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Charleston Town Clerk's Office. These include Vital records of Charleston, Vermont, 1803-1999, Land records (Charleston, Vermont); index to records, 1806-1905, 1841-1910, and Land records, 1806-1849.
Charleston Town Clerk’s Office
5063 Vt. Rte. 105
West Charleston, VT 05872
Phone: (802) 895-2814
Libraries and Historical Societies
Charleston Historical Society, Inc.
PO Box 46
East Charleston, VT 05833
Phone: (802) 723-4833
Northeast Kingdom Genealogy - Genealogy resources for towns in the counties of Essex, Orleans and Caledonia.
- About Charleston, Vermont - http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/charleston.html#about
- Charleston, Vermont - http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermont/OrleansCharleston.html