Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Cerro Gordo County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cerro Gordo County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1851|
|County Seat||Mason City|
|Address|| Cerro Gordo County Courthouse|
220 North Washington Avenue
Mason City, Iowa 50401
Cerro Gordo County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Populated Places
- 6 Neighboring Counties
- 7 Resources
- 7.1 Cemeteries
- 7.2 Census
- 7.3 Church
- 7.4 Court
- 7.5 Gazette
- 7.6 Land
- 7.7 Local Histories
- 7.8 History of Cerro Gordo County, Iowa
- 7.9 Maps
- 7.10 Military
- 7.11 Newspapers
- 7.12 Probate
- 7.13 Taxation
- 7.14 Vital Records
- 7.15 Societies and Libraries
- 7.16 Family History Centers
- 7.17 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Battle of Cerro Gordo. The County has Mason City as its seat and the County was created 1851. The County is located in the central area of the state.
Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Record Dates
Cerro Gordo County Courthouse
220 North Washington Avenue
Mason City, Iowa 50401
Cerro Gordo County
1851--Cerro Gordo County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Floyd County prior to organization 29 December 1855. County seat: Mason City 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Clear Lake
- Falls Township
- Geneseo Township
- Mason City
- Rock Falls
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Iowa Cemeteries for more information.|
- Elmwood Cemetery (also known as Elmwood - St. Joseph's Cemetery)
1224 S Washington Ave
Iowa USA 50401
- Memorial Park Cemetery - located outside of city limits
11495 265th St
Mason City, IA 50401
- Clear Lake Cemetery
located off of N 20th St and 7th Avenue N
Clear Lake, IA
- Cemetery records are kept by the Public Works Office, located just by the cemetery
1037 19th Street South West
Lincoln Township Cemetery: (FHL book 973 V3g, Vol. 5, page 200; film 599835, item 2)
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
- 1895 - Iowa State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Iowa State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1915 - Iowa State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Iowa State Census. 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Rockwell, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Mason City Globe Gazette (Mason City, Iowa) at Ancestry.com ($)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- 1835-1998 - Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations, ca. 1835-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1949 - Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Cerro Gordo County, Iowa Genealogy:
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
- Mason City Globe Gazette. Mason City, IA, USA. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Cerro Gordo - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
- 1850-1939 - Iowa, Delayed Birth Records, 1850-1939 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1921-1942 - Iowa, Birth Records, 1921-1942 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1518-1996 - Iowa, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1838-1934 - Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 at FamilySearch — index and image
- 1850-1990 - Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1850-1990 at FamilySearch - index
- 1880-1992 - Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992 at FamilySearch — index
- 1904-1951 - Iowa, Death Records, 1904-1951 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|State Historical Society of Iowa||Free||Select from research collection topics|
|The Iowa Heritage Digital Collection||Free||digital images from a variety of Iowa cultural institutions - results of "cerro gordo county" in the search box|
|State Library of Iowa||Free||electronic depository of documents intended for the general public produced by Iowa agencies - results of "cerro gordo county" in the search box|
|IAGenWeb Project||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|  FamilySearch||Free||Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes|
|RootsWeb Resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||IA Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Cerro Gordo County Message Board|
- Wikipedia contributors, "Cerro Gordo, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerro_Gordo_County,_Iowa.
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 225-231. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).