CERRIG-Y-DRUIDION (CERYG-Y-DRUDION), a parish, in the union of Corwen, hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh, in North Wales, 10 miles (W. N. W.) from Corwen. The name of this place signifies "the stones of the daring ones," and not "of the Druids," as some have interpreted it; and is in allusion to a vast heap of stones once in the area. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is a spacious structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a lofty chantry chapel adjoining the south side. There are three places of worship for Calvinistic and two for Wesleyan Methodists, two for Independents, and one for Baptists.
"The parish includes also the townships of Clustyblaidd, Cwmpenanner, Gwernheurn, Hafod-y-Maidd, Llaethwryd, Park, and Voel." [Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72, John Marius Wilson]
For more information see Cerrig-y-Drudion at genuki.org.uk
|before 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Conwy|
Church Records (Nonconformist)
The following records have been published:
- Ty'n Rhyd Calvinistic Methodist Chapel - Baptisms (1811-1837): C101631
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Cerrigydrudion Parish Church at Clwyd FHS
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), . Adapted. Date accessed: 11 September 2014.