Cedar City Utah Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Schedule a Group Session:
- 5 Opportunities for Youth:
- 6 Resources in the Local Area and Links
Center Contacts and Hours
Location and Contact Info:
|Location||Cedar City North Stake Center||95 North 2125 West, Cedar City, Utah 84720.
Enter on the northwest portion of the building.
|9:00 am - 6:00 pm||9:00 am - 9:00 pm||9:00 am - 9:00 pm||9:00 am - 9:00 pm||9:00 am - 9:00 pm||Groups by appointment|
|2019 Holidays and Cleaning Schedule (Closed these dates)|
|New Years Day||January 1|
|Carpet Cleaning||February 22|
|Presidents' Day||February 18|
|Carpet Cleaning||May 20 - 21|
|Memorial Day||May 27|
|Independence Day||July 4|
|Pioneer Day||July 24|
|Labor Day||September 2|
|Carpet Cleaning||October 3 - 4|
|Halloween||October 31 (Closes at 3 pm)|
|Christmas/New Years||December 19 - January 1|
Calendar and Events
Stake & Ward Temple & Family History Consultant Fireside & Training:
- Every 4th Sunday at 7:00 P.M. Cedar City North Stake Center Relief Society Room (Southeast corner of building)
2019 Family History Center Classes:
- Family Search Classes:
- Tues, 5th 6-7:30 pm, Repeated Wed 6th 10-11:30 am, Introduction to Family Tree
- Tues, 11th 6-7:30 pm, Repeated Wed 12th 10-11:30 am, Editing and Correcting Data
- Tues, 18th 6-7:30 pm, Repeated Wed 19th 10-11:30 am, Finding Names for Temple Work
- Tues, 25th 6-7:30 pm, Repeated Wed 26th 10-11:30 am, Adding Photos, Stories, Documents and Sources
- Research Classes:
- Wed, Mar 6th 6-7 pm, Getting Started
- Fri, Mar 8th 6-7 pm, Family History Library Catalog, Compiled Records
- Wed, Mar 13th 6-7 pm, Census Records
- Fri, Mar 15th 6-7 pm, Vital Records
- Wed, Mar 20th 6-7 pm, Probate Records
- Fri, Mar 22nd 6-7 pm, Land Records
- Tues, Mar 27th 6-7 pm, Military Records
- Wed, Mar 29th 6-7 pm, Immigration Records
- Family Search Classes:
- Tues, 2nd 6-7:30 pm, Repeated Wed 3rd 10-11:30 am, Introduction to Family Tree
- Tues, 9th 6-7:30 pm, Repeated Wed 10th 10-11:30 am, Editing and Correcting Data
- Tues, 16th 6-7:30 pm, Repeated Wed 17th 10-11:30 am, Finding Names for Temple Work
- Tues, 23rd 6-7:30 pm, Repeated Wed 24th 10-11:30 am, Adding Photos, Stories, Documents and Sources
- Research Classes:
- Tues, Apr 3rd 6-7 pm, Pre 1850 Census Research
- Thur, Apr 5th 6-7 pm Newspaper Research
- Tues, Apr 10th 6-7 pm DNA and Genealogical Research
- Thur, Apr 12th 6-7 pm, The Genealogy Proof Standard
Scheduled Groups 2019:
- March 12th - 7:15 pm - Midvalley 2nd Beehives - Find names for Temple
- March 26th - 7:00 pm - Midvalley 2nd Deacons - Find names for Temple
- April 2nd - 7:30 pm - Westview Ward YW - Indexing
- Computers (19)
- Microfilm Readers (3)
- Digital Reader-Scanner
- Document Scanners
- Cassette Tape to Digital Converter
- Slide to Digital Converter
- Extensive collection of books
- How-To books
- Books for every region in the U.S.
Databases and Software
This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to "subscription" family history software, such as Ancestry, and other sites that generally charge for subscriptions. For example:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive;
- Access Newspaper Archive;
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War;
- ArkivDigital Online;
- Find My Past;
- The Genealogist;
- Godfrey Memorial Library;
- Heritage Quest Online;
- Historic Map Works Library Edition;
- Paper Trail;
- World Vital Records.
Schedule a Group Session:
Relief Society, Young Men, Young Women, Priesthood, and community groups are all welcome. The staff is prepared to teach indexing, Family Tree, research, clearing names for temple work, or whatever is requested. Just call the center. A staff worker will take the information, and we will schedule you on the calendar.
Tips for Visitors
- You must have a FamilySearch account (free). Or an LDS account.
- You don't have to be a member of the LDS Church to have a FamilySearch account.
- FamilySearch accounts are free but are best set up at home before visiting the Family History Center. Those without an account or who have forgotten their account username or password should allow time before their scheduled visit for assistance in establishing this information.
- Your FamilySearch data file should connect to deceased ancestors in order to enjoy a unique and personal experience.
Anyone 8 years of age and older is eligible for a FamilySearch account; however, accounts for children ages 8 through 12 require parental permission via email at the time the account is created.
Account recovery and password resets require one of the following:
- The email address associated with the account and the ability to access the email while at the Center.
- The phone number associated with the account and the ability to receive text messages from that phone while at the Center.
- The LDS Membership Record Number (MRN). (Leaders might consider bringing a list of MRN's for the LDS youth who are in their group.)
Connecting to Ancestors
Linking an individual to their ancestors in FamilySearch is a separate activity from creating an account. Most people need access to family records or other living relatives in order to link themselves to their ancestors. This is best accomplished at home or during a separate visit to the Center. For youth it is helpful if a parent can be present.