Catton, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Catton, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||St Faith's|
|Registration District||St Faiths|
|Parish registers: 1688|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1706|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean & Chapter of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
CATTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of St. Faith's, hundred of Taverham, E. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (N.) from Norwich. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship. 
Catton is an ancient parish, 2 miles NW of Norwich. New Catton Christ Church Chapelry was created and built in 1841, although this district was assigned to and lay within the boundary of Norwich St Clement.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Catton, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Catton, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 534-538. Date accessed: 19 September 2013.
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 24 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 24 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.