Cass County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Cass County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cass County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 31, 1851|
|Address|| Cass County Courthouse|
303 Minnesota Avenue West
P.O. Box 3000
Walker, MN 56484
Cass County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for Lewis Cass. The County is located in the central area of the state.
Cass County, Minnesota Record Dates
County Treasurer has birth and death records from 1896
and marriage records from 1897.
Clerk District Court has divorce records from 1899, court records from 1898,
probate and naturalization records.
City or Town Clerks have burial records.
- 1851--Cass County was created 31 March 1851 from Dakota, Pembina (Old), Mahkahta, Eliminated 1 Sep 1851, and Wahnata, Eliminated 1 Sep 1851, Counties.
County seat: Walker 
- For a brief history of how Cass County was named, click here, then select Cass County.
For animated maps illustrating Minnesota County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Minnesota County Boundary Maps" (1849-1960) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Ansel Township | Barclay Township | Becker Township | Beulah Township | Birch Lake Township | Blind Lake Township | Boy Lake Township | Boy River Township | Bull Moose Township | Bungo Township | Byron Township | Crooked Lake Township | Deerfield Township | Fairview Township | Gould Township | Hiram Township | Home Brook Township | Inguadona Township | Kego Township | Leech Lake Township | Lima Township | Loon Lake Township | Maple Township | May Township | McKinley Township | Meadow Brook Township| Moose Lake Township | Otter Tail Peninsula Township | Pike Bay Township | Pine Lake Township | Pine River Township | Ponto Lake Township | Poplar Township | Powers Township | Remer Township | Rogers Township | Salem Township | Shingobee Township | Slater Township | Smoky Hollow Township | Sylvan Township | Thunder | Lake Township | Torrey Township | Trelipe Township || Turtle Lake Township | Wabedo Township | Walden Township | Wilkinson Township | Wilson Township | Woodrow Township
Wahnena | North Cass | North Central Cass | East Cass
Outing | Pontoria
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Cass – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Cass County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Cass County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Cass County Historical Society
PO Box 505
North Central Minnesota Historical Center
The A. C. Clark Library
1500 Birchmont Dr. NE #28
Bemidji, MN 56601-2699
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Cass County, MN History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Cass County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cass County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Cass County
- Wikipedia contributors, "Cass County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cass_County,_Minnesota accessed 8 Nov 2018
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cass County, Minnesota page 363, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).