|Cardiganshire Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Dyfed Family History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Dyfed)
The Stable Room
Cardigan, Ceredigion SA43 1JA UK
Telephone: 01239 831310
Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire UK
Telephone: 01554 891241
Prendergast Church Hall
Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire SA61 2PF UK
Telephone: 01646 650250
Llandovery (Upper Towy Valley) Branch
The Dolaubran Complex
Llandovery, Carmarthenshire SA20 0RB UK
Telephone: 01550 721101
Llanelli, Carmarthenshire SA15 3AS UK
Telephone: 01267 267039
The Family History Centre
64-68 Exhibition Road
Kensington, London SW7 2PA UK
Telephone: 0207 9230302
- The Society was founded in 1982 to encourage and assist people in all parts of the world who are pursuing family history research related to Dyfed which comprises the old counties of Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire, and Pembrokeshire. The Society also welcomes members who have no Dyfed ancestors but are interested in Dyfed history generally.
Llanelli Historical Society
Website: Llanelli Historical Society
- The website gives a history of Llanelli from the time it started being an industrial force. Also given are details concerning the baptismal records of the town, a census index from 1881, registers of births, marriages and deaths, geology of 1902, and historical descriptions of the different industries in the town, including coal, steel, and tin.
Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society (Cymdeithas Achyddol Maldwyn)
Tregynon, Newtown SY16 3PL UK
Telephone: 01686 627916
Website: Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society
- The Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society was founded to provide a forum for people with family history interests in the historical county of Montgomeryshire and its borders. Its main aim is to help members trace their Montgomeryshire family histories. It also helps members with family connections in Shropshire, Cardiganshire, Denbighshire, Merionethshire, and Radnorshire.
- The Aberaeron Society works to celebrate, interpret, and present the maritime, architectural, and social history and heritage of Aberaeron and the surrounding district.
- The Society was established in 2011 to record the history and culture of Blaenpennal and Bontnewydd. It was a prime objective of the Society to record their findings in a book for the benefit of future generations.
Cardiganshire Family History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Teuluoedd Ceredigion)
St David's Church Hall
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 2NN UK
Website: Cardiganshire Family History Society
- The Society was formed in 1995 to encourage the study of genealogy and family history in Cardiganshire by those having family connections with the county wherever they may live.
Ceredigion Historical Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Ceredigion)
National Library of Wales
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 3BU UK
Website: Ceredigion Historical Society
- The aim of the Society is to preserve, record, and promote the study of the archaeology, antiquities and history of Ceredigion.
Ceredigion Local History Forum (Fforwm Hanes Lleol Ceredigion)
Llwyncelyn Village Hall
Aberaeron, Ceredigion SA46 0HF UK
Telephone: 01970 832573
Website: Ceredigion Local History Forum
- The main purpose of the Forum is to act as an umbrella group, bringing together all the societies and organisations who are involved with local history, heritage, and family history within the county of Ceredigion (formerly Cardiganshire), with the aim of raising the profile of local history within the county.
Cilcennin History Club (Clwb Hanes Cilcennin)
Lampeter, Ceredigion SA48 8RF UK
Email #2: email@example.com
Website: Cilcennin Local History Group
- The club has focused over last two years on the ancestral history within their parish, listing all the gravestones in the village cemetery and detailing inhabitants of households from the 1841 census onwards. Many local family histories have also been investigated. It has also been working on the links between six families that left Cilcennin on the 1st April 1818 to settle in Gallia and Jackson counties in Southeast Ohio. These six families and over 3000 others that followed them over the next forty years are the focus of bicentenary celebrations in June this year where they hope to welcome over 50 visitors from the U.S. to their small communities here in Ceredigion. Their story is well documented in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth (see: The Wales-Ohio Project) and they hope to list their findings under the banner of The People's Collection Wales over the next few months. They have a village website www.cilcennin.wales (.cymru) which does detail some elements of their work and listings of how to contact them.
Lampeter History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Llambed)
University of Wales Trinity St. David
Lampeter, Ceredigion SA48 7ED UK
Telephone: 01570 422769
Website: Lampeter History Society
- The aims of the Society are to meet and discuss aspects of Lampeter’s past and its place in the history of the Teifi valley and Ceredigion, discover and record information about Lampeter’s past, produce and publish research into particular pieces of Lampeter history, support the conservation and preservation of our local heritage with other organisations, and promote and present Lampeter’s past to the local community and visitors.
Llanddewi Aberarth History Society
Telephone: 01545 571349
Llandysul and District Local History Society (Cymdeithas Hanes Lleol Llandysul a'r Fro)
Tysul Hall Llandysul
Llandysul, Ceredigion SA44 4HS UK
Telephone: 07989 127396
Website: Llandysul and District Local History Society
- The Society's aim is to encourage interest in the history and heritage of the parish of Llangynfelyn and the surrounding area.
Newcastle Emlyn History Society
Telephone: 01239 710620
Y Ferwig and District Historical Society
Telephone: 01239 621739