To request editing rights on the Wiki, click here.

Capel Curig, Conwy, Wales Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Capel Curig is a rural village and community in the County Borough of Conwy, Wales. It lies in the heart of Snowdonia, on the Afon Llugwy.

Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Caernarfonshire and, between 1974 and 1996 in the County of Gwynedd. In 1996 it became part of the modern County Borough of Conwy.

History[edit | edit source]

In the 1870s: "CAPEL-CURIG, a hamlet and a chapelry in Llandegai parish, Carnarvon. The hamlet lies on the river Llugwy, at the foot of Moel-Siabod and Snowdon, 5½ miles WSW of Llanrwst r. station. It has a post office under Conway, and a hotel; and is a polling place and a resort for tourists and anglers. Public coaches daily pass through it. The surrounding scenery is most romantic; and the route hitherto the top of Snowdon, though the most toilsome, is the best. The chapelry includes the hamlet and is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £89. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is very old but good." [Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, John Marius Wilson 1870-72]

For more information on Capel Curig see Genuki - Llandegai

Administration[edit | edit source]

Years County
before 31 March 1974 Caernarfonshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Gwynedd
from 1 April 1996 Conwy

Records[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Church Records[edit | edit source]

Census Records[edit | edit source]

Probate Records[edit | edit source]

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Websites[edit | edit source]