Canada Deaths and Burials - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
Canada Deaths and Burials, 1664-1955
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Canada|
|Record Type||Deaths and Burials|
|Title in the Language|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This index is an electronic index for the years 1867 to 1961.This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The information in these records usually include the following:
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
The coverage table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
|Locality||Births, 1661-1959||Marriages, 1661-1949||Deaths and Burials, 1664-1955|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||220||409||0|
|Prince Edward Island||358||94||0|
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
You can search the index or view the images or both. To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The name of a relative or date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Copy the citation below, in case you need to find this record again later
- Use the age or estimated birth date to determine an approximate birth date to find other church and vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage records
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in censuses
- Repeat this process with additional family members found, to find more generations of the family
- Church Records often were kept years before government records were required and are a good source for finding ancestors before 1900
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Canada.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
- Lower Canada Census 1831 (FamilySearch Histrorical Records)
- Nova Scotia, Queens County, Genealogical Notes of Thomas Brenton Smith - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police obituary card index and Notices (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Ontario, Toronto Trust Cemeteries - FamilySearch Historical Records
Categories that cover Collections about Canada and its Provinces[edit | edit source]
By going to the links below you can find the collections about each area. Then you can go to these pages and get details about what, and when were covered in each collection and what wasn't included in the collection.
- Category:British Columbia FamilySearch Historical Records
- Category:Canada FamilySearch Historical Records
- Category:Manitoba FamilySearch Historical Records
- Category:New Brunswick FamilySearch Historical Records
- Category:Newfoundland FamilySearch Historical Records
- Category:Nova Scotia FamilySearch Historical Records
- Category:Ontario FamilySearch Historical Records
- Category:Prince Edward Island FamilySearch Historical Records
- Category:Quebec FamilySearch Historical Records
- Category:Saskatchewan FamilySearch Historical Records
To access available information, first log into FamilySearch.