Canada Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Canada Births and Baptism, 1661-1959
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Canada|
|Record Type||Births and Baptism|
|Title in the Language|
|Public Archives, Ontario|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Known Issues With This Collection
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This index is an electronic index for the years 1661 to 1959. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Birth records may include:
- Full name
- Approximate year of birth
- Place of birth
- Province and district of residence
How Do I Search This Collection?
You can search the index. To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The name of a relative or date of the event
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Cite the record. See below for help citing this collection
- Look at an image of the original record. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information you have found to find the person in a census record.
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- Check the info box above for additional FamilySearch websites and related websites that may assist you in finding similar records
- Search the indexes and records of Canada Genealogy
- Search in the Canada Archives and Libraries
- Search in the FamilySearch Library Catalog
- Consult the Canada Record Finder to find other records
Known Issues With This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Canada Births and Baptisms, 1661-1959." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.