Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Cambuslang (#627)

This is a guide to the history and major genealogical records of Scotland as they pertain to the parish of Cambuslang.  To learn more about how to use these records to search for your ancestors, go to the Scotland: Research Strategies.

History[edit | edit source]

CAMBUSLANG, a parish, in the Middle ward of the county of Lanark, 4½ miles (S. by E.) from Glasgow; including the villages of Bushyhill, Chapelton, East and West Cotes, Cullochburn, Howieshill, Kirkhill, Lightburn, Sauchiebog, Silverbanks, and Vicarland. This place is supposed to have derived its name from its situation on the banks of the Clyde. The church, erected in 1743, a plain building, being much dilapidated, has been rebuilt on a larger scale, for a congregation of 1000 persons; it is a handsome structure in the Norman style, with a lofty spire. There are places of worship for members of the Congregational Union, and the United Secession Church.[1]

The New Statistical Account of Scotland (pub. 1834-45) offers uniquely rich and detailed parish reports for the whole of Scotland, covering a vast range of topics including history, agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. The reports, written by the parish ministers, are available online at  Click on ‘Browse scanned pages’ then search the parish reports for Cambuslang.  Also available at the Family History Library.

Census Records[edit | edit source]

A census is a count and description of the population, taken by the government, arranged by locality and by household. Read more about Scotland Census Records.

Click here for a list of the Family History Library (FHL) microfilm numbers for the census records of Cambuslang.

Below is information for any known surname indexes:

Years Surname Index          
1841 ($)
1851 CD-ROM no. 1850
1861 6206625
1871 ($)
1881 6086616 ( 41 fiche)
1891 ($)
1901 ($)

All available censuses, 1841-1901, are indexed on To use it, you must register and pay a small access fee. It may be easier for you to pay to use the website rather than access indexes through the library.

Church Records[edit | edit source]

The Established Church of Scotland was Presbyterian. Read more about Scotland Church Records.

Here are the pre-1855 records that exist for this parish with their Family History Library call number..

Established Church—Old Parochial Registers[edit | edit source]

Event Years Covered FHL Film Number
Births: 1657-1854 1042966
Marriages: 1625-1678, 1721-1745 1042966 item 4
1820-1854 1042967
Deaths: 1731-1819 - Mortcloth Dues 1042966 item 4
1819-1854 - Mortcloth Dues 1042967
Condition of Original Registers[edit | edit source]

Indexed: For an index to these records, see Scotland’s People website, a pay-for-view website. The Scottish Church Records Index is also still available at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.  Some records may be indexed in theInternational Genealogical Index. 
Births: There are no birth entries April 1711–April 1720. Entries for April 1731–July 1750 are recorded twice. Except for September 1663–June 1688, Mothers’ names are not inserted in the entries until November 1799.
Marriages: There are no entries August 1681–June 1721, November 1723–December 1725. There is a separate record of proclamation fees December 1725–January 1746 and the entries of marriage February 1746–June 1750 are recorded twice.
Deaths: There is a duplicate of January 1750–August 1748.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.

Established Church—Kirk Session Records[edit | edit source]

The Kirk session was the court of the parish. The session was made up of the minister and the land owners and business men of the parish, chosen to serve on the session. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Kirk session records may also mention births, marriages, and deaths.

Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish:

Minutes 1658–1697, 1720–1722, 1749–1788, 1810–1968
Collections & Disbursements 1731–1810
Cash Book 1779–1901
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/415.

Nonconformist Church Records[edit | edit source]

A nonconformist church is any church that is not the Established church. Read more about nonconformity in Scotland in the article on the Scotland Church Records Union Lists.

Cambuslang Free Church[edit | edit source]

Services were begun here in 1846. The church was erected in 1856 and in that year the charge was sanctioned. The manse was built in 1870. The church was enlarged in 1878 and reconstructed in 1898. Mining and weaving were at first the main industries. Westward the town became a residential resort. To the east were the works of the Steel Company of Scotland with workmen’s dwellings.
Membership: 1859, 120; 1900, 497.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Family History Library Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including a list of ministers.

There are no pre–1855 records.

Cambuslang United Presbyterian Church[edit | edit source]

This congregation was started as a preaching station in 1835 by members of the East Campbell Street church in Glasgow. A church was built in 1839. The congregation disbanded in 1849 and the church was sold.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Family History Library Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including a list of ministers.

The extent of records is unknown.

Cambuslang Congregational Church[edit | edit source]

This is the oldest Congregational church in Lanarkshire outside of Glasgow district. It was formed in 1803, but the congregation had actually begun in 1799. A chapel was built in 1801. The congregation joined the Evangelical Union in 1844. They built a new chapel in Main Street in 1875. This church ceased in 1961.
Source: A History of Scottish Congregationalism, by Harry Escott, pub. 1960. Family History Library Book 941 K2es This book includes a list of ministers.

The extent of records is unknown. For information write to:
The United Reformed Church, Scottish Synod Office
PO Box 189,
240 Cathedral Street
Glasgow G1 2BX, Scotland.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter–Day Saints[edit | edit source]

Records—                                           Family History Library Film Number
Record of Members     1847–1906          0104150 item 2

Civil Registration Records[edit | edit source]

Government or civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths (also called statutory records) began on January 1, 1855 in Scotland. Each parish has a registrar's office and large cities have several. The records are created by the registrars and copies are sent to the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Annual indexes are then created for the records for the whole country.
See the article on Scotland Civil Registration for more information and to access the records.

Probate Records[edit | edit source]

Cambuslang was under the probate jurisdiction of the Commissary Court of Glasgow until 1823, and since then has been under the Sheriff's Court of Glasgow.  Probate records for 1513- 1901 are indexed online at   You must register on the website but use of the index to probate records, called 'Wills & Testaments,' is free. You may then purchase a copy of the document or, if the document is before 1823, it will be on microfilm at the Family History Library. To find the microfilm numbers, search in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Lanark and the subject of 'Probate records.' Then click on the link to the records of the Commissariat of Glasgow.
The library also has some post-1823 probate records for Lanark. Look in the library catalog for the 'Place-names' of Lanark and the subjects of 'Probate Records' and 'Probate Records - Indexes.'

Read more about Scotland Probate Records.

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland (1846), pp. 163-185. Adapted. Date accessed: 27 February 2014.

Return to the Lanarkshire parish list.