California Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|California, United States|
|Flag of California|
|Location of California|
|Record Type||Births and Christenings Index|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This index is an electronic index for the years 1812 to 1988. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Birth and Christening records may include:
- Name of the individual
- Date of the Event
- Names of the parents
A coverage table for this collection is available is the wiki article California Births and Christenings, Coverage Table (FamilySearch Historical Records)
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person
- The approximate date of the birth or christening
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find other vital records such as marriage, and death records
- Search for the births and christenings of other family members
- Use the information found in the record to find family members in census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching a nearby locality
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"California, Births and Christenings, 1812-1988." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.