California, San Mateo County, Colma, Italian Cemetery Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
California, San Mateo County, Colma, Italian Cemetery Records, 1899-2011
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Colma, San Mateo, California, United States|
|Flag of California|
|Location of Colma, San Mateo, California|
|Location of California|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes cemetery records from 1899 to 2011. The daily burial log begins in 1934 and continues to the present. Cemeteries began keeping records as soon as they were opened. The purchase of a burial plot was considered a land transaction and was recorded as a deed. The information in these records are typically reliable.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. Images in this collection are available for viewing if you are a registered FamilySearch user. You can register for a free FamilySearch account here.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for California, San Mateo County, Colma, Italian Cemetery Records, 1899-2011.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The records usually contain:
- The name of deceased
- Age of deceased
- Gender of deceased
- Death date
- Burial date
- Relationship to owner of grave
- The name of the undertaker
- The burial place
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of death
There are indexes available in these collections. The indexes are located in individual folders. Find your ancestors name in the index and look for the locator information (page, entry, certificate number, or book number). This will help you find the record you are looking for in the collection.
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type, Date Range and Volume to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at California, San Mateo County, Colma, Italian Cemetery Records, 1899-2011. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for the death certificate
- Search for an obituary
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- If applicable, search for immigration and naturalization records as well
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Consult the California Research Tips and Strategies and its Record Finder to search other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"California, San Mateo County, Colma, Italian Cemetery Records, 1899-2011." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Italian Cemetery, Colma.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.