Calhoun County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Calhoun County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Calhoun County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||February 20, 1854|
|Address|| Calhoun County Courthouse|
111 School Street
PO Box 111
Morgan, GA 31766
Calhoun County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Calhoun County, Georgia Record Dates
County CourthouseCalhoun County Courthouse
111 School St
Morgan, GA 31766
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, land, military and court records from 1854. Probate Court has birth, marriage, death, burial and probate records.
CALHOUN COUNTY COURTHOUSE
ATTN: Clerk of Superior Court
Post Office Box 69
Morgan, Georgia 39866-0069
Telephone: (229) 849-2715
Fax: (229) 849-007
Calhoun County Courthouse
Post Office Box 87
Morgan, GA 39866-0087
Telephone: (229) 849-2115
Fax: (229) 849-2117
County seat: Morgan 
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1888, 1891, 1920 The courthouse was damaged or destroyed by fire, but almost all records survived.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Calhoun County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Calhoun County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Military - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Calhoun County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Calhoun County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 12th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - 25th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company L
- - 42nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)
- - 51st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company E
- - Military - Civil War - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Calhoun County Historical Society (Edison, Georgia). 1994. Against oblivion: a history of Calhoun County, Georgia. Alpharetta, Georgia: WH Wolfe Associates.(page 584, Ex-confederate Soldiers; List of Widows; ) 975.8956 H2h
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Calhoun County). 1962. Pension records. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. (United States, Georgia, Calhoun - Military records - Pensions) Film 271327
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Calhoun County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Calhoun County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Online Probate Records
- 1742 – 1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742 – 1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
- 1855 - 1900 Calhoun County Georgia list of will book testators SAMPUBCO - Browsable index of testators of wills. - free
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1878 - 1909 - Calhoun County Marriage Index 1878-1909. Batch M712311 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869 - 1870 - Calhoun County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Southwestern Georgia Genealogical Society Dougherty County Public Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Calhoun County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Calhoun County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Calhoun County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Calhoun County, Georgia. Page 152 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 18. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.