Caldwell Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Caldwell Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Caldwell Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1838|
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.8 Ethnic
- 5.9 Land
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Newspapers
- 5.14 Obituaries
- 5.15 Probate
- 5.16 Schools
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Parish Information[edit | edit source]
Description[edit | edit source]
The County was named for the Local Caldwell family. The County has Columbia as its seat and the County was created 1838. The County is located in the north central area of the state. 
Caldwell Parish, Louisiana Record Dates[edit | edit source]
Parish Courthouse[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
Parent Parish[edit | edit source]
- 1838--Caldwell Parish was created 6 March 1838 from Catahoula and Ouachita Parishes.
Parish seat: Columbia 
Boundary Changes[edit | edit source]
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Record Loss[edit | edit source]
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities[edit | edit source]
Populated Places[edit | edit source]
Neighboring Parishes or Counties[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
African American[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana African American Griots Project (USGenWeb Project)
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- African American Cemeteries, listing by county
Biographies[edit | edit source]
- Otis A. Biggs
- Jahleal Boatner
- John R. Brown
- Stephen H. Brown, M.D.
- James R. Cottingham
- Capt. Anthony Wayne Faulkner
- Thomas, John and Edward Garrett
- John Wesley James
- Irby B. May, M.D
- George Washington Murphey
- John Pugh
- C.P. Thornhill
- Frances Marion Thornhill, M.D.
- Jesse Moore Tilly
- William L. Van Horn
- J. Waggoner
- Jerry A. Warner
- Judge George Wear
- Sidney L. Williams
- Caldwell Parish Biographies
Cemeteries[edit | edit source]
The following web sites may have additional information on Caldwell Parish cemeteries.
Census[edit | edit source]
|Caldwell Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images (USGenWeb Census Images Project)
- 1840 Caldwell Parish Census Index
- 1850 Mortality Census
- 1880 Census Images
- 1900 Census Images
- 1910 Census Images
- 1920 Census Images
- Caldwell Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Church[edit | edit source]
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana, by city (Church Angel)
- Caldwell Parish Church Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Court[edit | edit source]
Emigration and Immigration[edit | edit source]
- Index to Ship Passenger Lists (Caldwell Parish, LAGenWeb Project)
Ethnic[edit | edit source]
- Records of the field offices for the State of Louisiana, Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, 1863-1872Reel 0042, Labor Contracts (Agreements with Freedmen)
- Records of the field offices for the State of Louisiana, Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, 1863-1872Reel 0070
- Records of the field offices for the State of Louisiana, Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, 1863-1872Reel 0071
- Index to Ethnic Records, Caldwell Parish, USGenWeb Project
Land[edit | edit source]
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Caldwell Parish LA Land Records (ldsgenealogy.com)
Local Histories[edit | edit source]
Local histories are available for Caldwell Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- to History Links, Caldwell Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
- Index to History Links, Caldwell Parish (USGenWeb Archives)
Maps[edit | edit source]
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- USGW Digital Map Collection (USGenWeb Project)
- 1895 US Atlas - Caldwell Parish
- Caldwell Parish Topo Maps and Aerial Photos
Military[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Military History Online
- Index to Military Links, Caldwell Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
- Caldwell Parish Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Civil War[edit | edit source]
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - Caldwell Parish Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
- Roster of Troops in Confederate Services
- Caldwell Parish Civil War Soldiers, Union Army: Census of 1890
Regiments. Service men in Caldwell Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Caldwell Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Harrison's)(Confederate), Company C
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Infantry (Confederate), Company I
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company I
World War I[edit | edit source]
World War II[edit | edit source]
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- WWII Army & Army Air Forces Casualties
- WWII Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Casualties
Korean War[edit | edit source]
Vietnam War[edit | edit source]
Newspapers[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Newspaper List, listing by name/parish (USNPL)
- Louisiana Newspaper listing (Newslink)
- Caldwell Parish News Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Caldwell Parish LA Newspapers and Obituaries (ldsgenealogy.com)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Caldwell Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituaries[edit | edit source]
- Caldwell Parish Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Caldwell Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Caldwell Parish LA Newspapers and Obituaries (ldsgenealogy.com)
Probate[edit | edit source]
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Caldwell Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
Schools[edit | edit source]
- Caldwell Parish School Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Taxation[edit | edit source]
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
- Caldwell Parish Tax Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Vital Records[edit | edit source]
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Marriage[edit | edit source]
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1838-1901 - Caldwell Parish, Louisiana marriage records, 1838-1901 at FamilySearch; WorldCat
- Caldwell Parish Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Death[edit | edit source]
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Caldwell Parish Death Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Caldwell Parish Death Records (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries[edit | edit source]
- Caldwell Parish Library
211 Jackson Street
Columbia, LA 71418
- Louisiana Historical Society]
- Louisiana Historical Association
Family History Centers[edit | edit source]
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Caldwell Parish, Louisiana (LAGenWeb)
- Caldwell Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Caldwell Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Caldwell Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Caldwell Parish LA Genealogy (ldsgenealogy.com)
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Caldwell, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldwell_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Caldwell Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Aurora County, Louisiana, p.289
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.