Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Caddo Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Caddo Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 18, 1838|
|Address|| 501 Texas Street|
Shreveport, LA 71101
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Caddo Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
- 1838--Caddo Parish was created 18 January 1838 from Natchitoches Parish.
Parish seat: Shreveport 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Cass County, Texas
- Harrison County, Texas
- Lafayette County, Arkansas
- Marion County, Texas
- Miller County, Arkansas
- Panola County, Texas
- Red River
- A volunteer through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness is willing to search a collection of slave data covering Caddo Parish.
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
The following web sites may have additional information on Caddo Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- Louisiana Census Images (USGenWeb Census Images Project)
- Caddo Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Caddo Parish LA Census Records (LDS Genealogy)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Louisiana Historical Church Information
- Directory of Churches in Louisiana ~ by city ~ Church Angel
- Caddo Parish Church Records (LDS Genealogy)
- Caddo Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Index to Caddo Parish Land Patents (LAGenWeb Projects)
Local histories are available for Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Index to Caddo Parish History Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index to Caddo Parish LA Historical Records (LDS Genealogy)
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- Family Maps of Caddo Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
- Louisiana Military History Online
- Caddo Parish Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Caddo Parish Military Information (LAGenWeb Project)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Harrison's)(Confederate), Company G
- - 3rd Regiment, Louisiana Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - Fenner's Battery, Louisiana Light Artillery
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Caddo Parish News Stories and Casualty Lists (Genealogy Trails)
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
- Caddo Parish News Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Caddo Parish LA Newspapers and Obituaries (LDS Genealogy)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Caddo Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Caddo Parish LA Newspapers and Obituaries (LDS Genealogy)
- Index to Caddo Parish Obituary Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756 – 1984 Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- 1905 - Caddo Parish Vital Statistics (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Caddo Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Caddo Parish Marriage Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Caddo Parish LA Marriage Records (LDS Genealogy)
- Caddo Parish Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1850 Mortality Schedule. Persons who died during the year ending June 1, 1860 in the Parish of Caddo, State of Louisiana. (Genealogy Trails)
- Caddo Parish LA Death Records (LDS Genealogy)
Societies and Libraries
Ark-La-Tex Genealogical Association
3101 Fairfield Avenue
PO Box 4463
Shreveport, Louisiana 71134-0463
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Caddo Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Caddo Parish, LAGenWeb
- Caddo Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog ,
- Caddo Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Caddo Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Geneaogy Trails)
- Caddo Parish Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Caddo Parish, Louisiana p. 289 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).