Butts County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Butts County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Butts County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 24, 1825|
|Address|| Butts County Courthouse|
25 Third Street
PO Box 320
Jackson, GA 30233-0320
Butts County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 5.19 Voter Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Butts County, Georgia Record Dates
Butts County Courthouse
25 Third St
Jackson, GA 30233-0320
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records from 1825.
Clerk of Superior Court
26 Third Street
P.O. Box 320
Jackson, GA 30233
Phone: (770) 775-8215
Fax: (770) 504-1359
Probate Court of Butts County
25 Third Street
Jackson, GA 30233
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1828 The unoccupied and unfinished courthouse burned down 1 February, with no records lost.
1864 During the American Civil War the courthouse was destroyed on 17 November, but again no records were lost.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Butts County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- 1886-1924 - England's Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church Baptism Index 1886-1924. Batch C712271 at FamilySearch - free.
Jackson Methodist Church
- 1846-1885 - Jackson Methodist Church Baptism Index 1846-1885. Batch C712301 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1846-1895 - Jackson Methodist Church Marriage Index 1846-1895. Batch M712301 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Butts County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Military - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Butts County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Butts County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 6th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - 14th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company I
- - 30th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies A, B and C
- - 45th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company I
- - 53rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company I
- - Military - Civil War - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- McMichael, Lois. 1988. History of Butts County Georgia, 1825-1976: Revised edition. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press.(page 387-399) 975.8585 H2m
- Hageness, MariLee Beatty. 1995. Confederate soldiers and their units, Butts County, Georgia. Anniston, Alabama: MLH Research. 975.8585 M2h
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Butts County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Butts County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
Online Probate Records
- 1742 – 1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742 – 1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
- 1826 - 1948 Butts County Georgia list of will book testators SAMPUBCO - Browsable index of testators of wills. - free
- 1821 - 1841 Butts County Wills (digital images and abstracts) See lists of testators. Georgia Pioneers $
- 1845 - 1855 Butts County Wills and Estates (digital images). See list of testators. Georgia Pioneers $
- 1849 - 1857 Butts County Wills and Estates (digital images). See list of testators. Georgia Pioneers $
- 1850 - 1896 Index to Will Book A Georgia Pioneers $
- 1897 - 1948 Index to Will Book B Georgia Pioneers $
- 1826 - 1841; 1836-1845; 1845-1851;1849-1857 Index to Wills, Appraisements, Sales, Annual Returns Georgia Pioneers $
- 1852 - 1855; 1864-1888; 1889-1901; 1896-1901 Index to Annual Returns and Vouchers Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1826 - 1886 - Butts County Marriage Index 1826-1886. Batch M712281 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1827 - 1870 - Butts County Marriages 1827-1870 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1876 - 1896 - Butts County Marriage Index 1876-1896 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- 1882 - 1895 - Butts County Marriage Index 1882-1895. Batch M712283 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1887 - 1895 - Butts County Marriage Index 1887-1895. Batch M712282 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1879 - 1880 - Butts County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
- 1867-1868 - Georgia, Reconstruction Registration Oath Books, 1867-1868 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Butts County Historical Society
P.O. Box 215
Jackson, Georgia, 30233
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Butts County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Butts County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Butts County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Butts County, Georgia. Page 152 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 17-18. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.