Burke County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Burke County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Burke County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Information
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Education
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Migration
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Newspapers
- 4.13 Probate
- 4.14 Taxation
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Burke County is located in the Western portion of North Carolina and was named for Thomas Burke, delegate to the Continental Congress and governor of the state 1781-1782.
Burke County, North Carolina
201 S Green Street
P O Box 219
Morganton, NC 28680
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1913
marriage, land and military discharge records from 1865;
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1865
Register of Deeds
PO Box 219
Morganton, NC 28680-0219
Clerk of Superior Court
PO Box 796
Morganton, NC 28680
Telehone: (828) 433-3200
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1865--Many court records and most land records burned by Federal troops.
Former Burke County Genealogical Society President Betsy Pittman's article can help you discover your Burke County ancestors despite record loss, see:
- Pittman, Betsy Dodd. "Burke County 'Bypasses,'" The North Carolina Genealogical Society Journal, Vol. 15, No. 2 (May 1989):68-72. FHL Book 975.6 B2s v. 15 (1989).
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Burke County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Catawbo River. Constituted 1785.
- Book: The North Carolina School for the Deaf at Morganton, 1894-1944 (1945) - free online
- Burke County students at NC colleges - list via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- [Plumlee] Plumlee, Robert D. The Plumlee Family. Clearwater, Fla.: Plumlee Systems, Inc., 1969, 1979. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- Deeds 1855-1985 -- Search on the Burke County Register of Deeds website
- Deeds of Burke County -- NCGenWeb Archives
- Book: Catawba Valley and highlands : Burke County, Western North Carolina (1896) - via the Internet Archive
- Burke County Maps - via NC Maps Digital Collection
Early migration routes to and from Burke County for European settlers included:
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Burke County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Burke County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, usually known as the Bethel Regiment.
- -6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company B
- - 11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company D
- - 16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company E
- - 41st Regiment Volunteers - 3rd Cavalry, Company F
- - 5th Battalion, North Carolina Cavalry, Company C
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company F
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company I
- - 6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company D
- - 6th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company E
- - 8th Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company C
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Burke county newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county & libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress.
- Burke County residents in the newspaper - name listing of people from the county as located in misc. newspaper articles; time span varies. Articles indexed in the NC People in the Papers database.
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project - contains full-text papers from 1752-1890s. Search for your Burke County ancestors.
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre - 1790 - Pre-1790 Burke County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1793 - 1963 - Will Books 1 to 9 (1793-1963) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Images of Wills and Estates 1793-1869. North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- Images of Wills & Estates, Book A (1764-1921); Book B, (1908-1924); Book C, (1924-1954) North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- Burke County Births - search on the website of the Burke County Register of Deeds
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1886 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state; via FamilySearch
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1799 - 1893 - Burke County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- 1774 - 1854 - Burke County Marriages 1774-1854 North Carolina Pioneers
- 1867 - 1939 - Burke County Marriage Index 1867-1939. Batch B868464 at FamilySearch - free.
- Burke County Marriages - search on the website of the Burke County Register of Deeds
- To 1799 - North Carolina Marriages to 1799, a database, available to members North Carolina Pioneers
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Burke County Deaths - search on the website of the Burke County Register of Deeds
- Deaths of Burke County - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - search a statewide collection of freely available death certificates - images are included; via FamilySearch
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1926 - 1975 - North Carolina, County Divorce Records, 1926-1975 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1958 - 2004 - North Carolina Divorce Index 1958-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
Societies and Libraries
Burke County Genealogical Society
PO Box 661
Morganton, NC 28680-0661
membership is required
Burke County Historical Society
PO Box 151
Morganton, NC 28680-0151
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Burke County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Burke County NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Burke County NCGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- North Carolina Pioneers North Carolina Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Burke County, North Carolina p. 507. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 2:562. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.