Buncombe County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Buncombe County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Buncombe County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Education
- 4.6 Family Histories
- 4.7 Land Records
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Buncombe County Courthouse
69 Court Plaza Run 110
Asheville, NC 28801-3519
Court house burned 1830-1835
Reg of Deeds has b, m, d. bur & land records
Clk Sup Ct has div & pro rec from 1832 & Ct Rec
Register of Deeds
35 Woodfin Street
Asheville, NC 28801
Clerk of Superior Court
60 Court Plaza
Asheville, NC 28801-3519
Telephone: (828) 259-3400
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1830, 1865--The courthouse fires destroyed many court records.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Buncombe County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- French Broad River, near Mills River, N.C. Organized before 1792. Later located in Henderson County.
Civil action papers, 1808-1889. (Free) Browse online at FamilySearch Historical Collections.
- Black Mountain College collection - repository of publications and records of the college. Available via the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- Montreat College Yearbooks: 1925-1959 -- free at the Internet Archive
- Buncombe County students at NC colleges - list via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- [Gash] Rising, Marsha Hoffman. "The Gash Family of Buncombe County, North Carolina: Who Was Ebenezer Gash of St. Clair County, Missouri?," The American Genealogist, Vol. 73, No. 2 (Apr. 1998):105-116 Digital Version
Land records in Buncombe County are searchable and the deeds are available online at the Register of Deeds Website
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Buncombe County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Buncombe County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, usually known as the Bethel Regiment.
- -11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company K
- - 14th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, formerly the 4th Volunteers, Company F
:- 16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company F
- - 1st Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves. Company A
- - 1st Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company G
- - 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company G
- - 7th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company B
- - 7th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company C
- - 7th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company F
- - 7th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company I
:- 7th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company K
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $]
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- 1831 - 1961 - Will Books A to GGG (1831-1961) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Images of Wills & Estates, Book A 1831-1866; Book B, 1869-1899; Book C, 1867-1897. North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- Images of Wills & Estates, Book A 1764-1921; Book B, 1908-1924; Book C, 1924-1954. North Carolina Pioneers ($)
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1892 - 1909 - Asheville, Buncombe County Birth Index 1892-1909. Batch C737348 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741 -2004 - North Carolina, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1851 - 1961 - Buncombe County Marriage Index 1851-1961 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1898 - 1909 - Asheville, Buncombe County Death Index 1898-1909. Batch C737348 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 -North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
Societies and Libraries
Buncombe County, North Carolina Genealogical Society
128 Bingham Road, Suite 950
Asheville, North Carolina 28836
Telephone Number: 828-253-1894
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Buncombe County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Asheville and Buncombe County Weblog
- Buncombe County NC GenWeb
- Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Buncombe County, North Carolina p. 507. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "French Broad Baptist Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, http://www.ncmarkers.com, accessed 22 October 2012; George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 2:561. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/4/4d/Iginorthcarolinaa.pdf.