Bulgaria Civil Registration
|Bulgaria Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
How to Find the Records[edit | edit source]
Offices to Contact[edit | edit source]
The records are located at the district archives in each of the twenty eight districts of Bulgaria. These records are available for official purposes. Storage conditions probably vary from site to site. 
There are no vital records in the National Historical Archive in Sofia.
The Family History Library has microfilmed some of these records, mainly for the districts of Sofia and Plovdiv. The records usually cover the 1893-1912 time period. These records are available as digital images on the FamilySearch Catalog. In the FamilySearch Catalog, search for the district or locality name in the Keywords search.
Historical Background[edit | edit source]
Civil registration in Bulgaria was instituted in 1893 and continues to the present. Early civil registration was not very effective, and there are many gaps in the records. Beginning in 1945, the registration of births, marriages, and deaths became more efficient. In 1920, family registers were used for vital information.
Coverage and Compliance[edit | edit source]
Early registration was sparse but by 1945 it became more comprehensive and complete. Only 70% of the population was covered in these records in the beginning, but by 1945 the coverage became more comprehensive. Civil registration covers the majority of the population.
Information Recorded in the Records[edit | edit source]
Birth Records[edit | edit source]
- Date and time of the birth
- Name of the child and their parents
- Occupation and religious preference of the parents
- Name of the informant
- Residence of the parents.
Marriage Records[edit | edit source]
- Date of the marriage
- Name of the bride and groom and their parents
- Names of the witnesses
- Residence of the bride and groom
Death Records[edit | edit source]
- Date of the death
- Name of the deceased
- Age at death
- Cause of death
- Place of burial
- Residence of the deceased
References[edit | edit source]
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Bulgaria,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 1991-1998.