Brooke County, West Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Brooke County West Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Brooke County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||November 30, 1796|
|Address|| County Courthouse|
632 Main Street
Wellsburg, WV 26070
Brooke County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Education
- 5.6 Genealogy
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Naturalization
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Occupations
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Online West Virginia Tax site
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Brooke County, West Virginia Record Dates
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1853
Marriage Probate and Land Records from 1797
Military Records from 1797
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
- Brooke County, West Virginia History to 1882 at Ancestry.com ($)
For animated maps illustrating West Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation West Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See West Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
- Random Acts WV Cemetery Records Research Guide
For tips on accessing Brooke County, West Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Join us in indexing the 1940 Census
Early Baptist churches (with years constituted):
- Cross Creek (1802)
Brooke County fell within the bounds of the Red Stone Association.
Church of England
- St. John's Parish
- St. Paul's Parish
- Bethany College yearbooks, 1907-2007 - available online at the Internet Archive; not entirely all inclusive, but many volumes available.
- Cheeks - Cheeks, Donald W. A Cheeks Family of the Upper Ohio Valley. 1994. FHL Book 929.273 C414c
- Craft - Craft, Kenneth Fischer. "The Craft Family in America," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 20 (Apr. 1981):43-45; Vol. 4, No. 21 (June 1981):36-39. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- Dornbläser - Greene, David L. "John Dornbläser of Brooke County, (West) Virginia: Recovering an Identity and Uncovering a Scandal," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 78, No. 1 (Jan. 1990):5-14. Digital version at National Genealogical Society website ($); FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 78 (1990).
- Mendel - Barclay, Rachel E. "Valentine Mendel of Pennsylvania and West Virginia," The American Genealogist, Vol. 45, No. 3 (Jul. 1969):158-161. FHL 973 D25aga v. 45
Cranmer, Gibson Lamb.History of the upper Ohio Valley: with family history and biographical sketches ; a statement of its resources, industrial growth and commercial advantages. Madison, Wisconsin: Brant & Fuller, c1890 Digital Version availble at familyhistoryarchives. FamilySearch Books Online FamilySearch Books Online
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Brooke County on page 133.]
War of 1812
Brooke County men served in the 103rd Regiment.
- - 1st Regiment, West Virginia Infantry. Companies D, F, and G.
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. Available at FHL. [Includes a section on Wellsburg silversmiths.]
Online Probate Records
- 1724 - 1978 West Virginia Wills and Probate Records 1724-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1756 - 1971 West Virginia Will Books, 1756-1971 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Brooke County is included in Vol. 6.]
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
. Includes marriages 1797, 1799-1833, 1835-1971 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Brooke County Genealogical Society Inc
P& O Box 144
Beech Bottom, WV 26030
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Brooke County, WV History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Brooke County, WVGenWeb - free genealogical resources; part of the USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Brooke County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Brooke County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Robert Baylor Semple and George William Beale, A History of the Rise and Progress of the Baptists in Virginia (1810; reprint, Richmond, Va.: Pitt and Dickinson, 1894), 438. Digital version at Google Books.
- William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861). Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II.
- Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 56. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.