Brixton St Matthew, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Brixton St Matthew, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Brixton St Matthew, Surrey|
Brixton St+Matthew Lambeth
|Poor Law Union||Lambeth|
|Parish registers: 1825|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1825|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Winchester; Post-1844 - London|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
BRIXTON, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish and union of Lambeth, E. division of the hundred of Brixton and of the county of Surrey, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from London. Later, in 1846, the old St Matthew Chapel was replaced by a new chapel called St Matthew Denmark Hill.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
The Church of England chapels existing prior to 1900 in Brixton Township included:
- Brixton Christ Church Brixton Rd - 1855
- Brixton St Catherine (Mission Church) - 1877
- Brixton St John the Evangelist - 1853
- Brixton St Jude, East Brixton - 1868
- Brixton St Matthew - 1825
- Brixton St Matthew Denmark Hill - 1846 (replaced the old St Matt. Chapel)
- Brixton St Paul Santley St - 1881
- Brixton St Saviour, Brixton Hill - 1875
Baptisms 1825-1845 P015611
Brixton Hill Union Poor Law Union Burials 1834-1837 are included in the National Burial Index.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Date accessed: 24 September 2013.
- 'Surrey Marriage Index - Parishes in the index,' British Origins, accessed 18 September 2012.
- 'Greater London Burials: South London Burials: Parishes, Period and Counts,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.